Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

New member, picked up a project 1994 SLT 750 today

Hi all, my name is Kevin and I live in Sedalia, MO. I picked up a project 1994 SLT 750 today for $100 off a local classified ad. Needless to say, it requires work. I am currently an auto mechanic and am good with mechanical things, so I'm not afraid to jump in and get it done. I've wanted a jet ski for a number of years now, and when I found this one locally for $100, I figured I can't really do wrong, but I probably did; time will tell. The jet ski is in decent condition, a little dirty and the decals a little faded. As I will explain, it needs a bunch done to it.

The guy I got it from says he bought it for $300 last year and it supposedly ran. When he tried to get it running, he found that the crankshaft had broken and it destroyed the engine. So, needless to say, I need to find an engine for it. From the little knowledge I've picked up so far, all I have engine related is the three carbs and air cleaner. I've been hunting for either a decent used engine or one to rebuild; I see several lower halves with the crankshaft on ebay so I'd need the three "jugs", pistons, and whatever else to complete it. I guess a positive thing is, the rest of the drive is there; it appears that everything from the impeller shaft that connects to the engine to what's outside the boat is there. It also appears that all the fuel lines are there along with the fuel pump (if it's what is mounted on the carb assembly) and some kind of sediment bowl that still has gas in it. The shaft turns free and the steering and reverse linkages are still connected and work fine. The jet ski still has the fuel tank in it and what appears to be most of the wiring, but until I get it all out and on the bench I don't know if it's salvageable or not. It will also need the electronic box.

The first thing I'd like to check out before going to deep is the hull. It appears to be in mostly good shape, but there is a spot where I believe there is a bearing and seal that the impeller shaft goes through to exit the hull where he fiberglass is broken. What would be a good method to address this? It isn't cracked; there is a chunk missing. I presume this happened when the previous owner pulled the engine. I'd like to tackle it first and leak-test the hull before I start collecting engine parts and the like.

So anyway, there is my project. I don't anticipate having it ready for the water this year or even next, but would like to bring it back from the dead. It has a clean title, which was another plus to me since a lot of the ones I have looked at before had title issues.
    Last edited by K447; 06-22-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added information

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What model year is your SLT 750? Last two digits of the HIN number plate on the rear deck.

So you don't even have the remains of the old crankcase and cylinders?

Post some photos of the hull damage.

Also post some photos of the underside around the jet pump intake and the hull bottom.

Click on my signature links for a deep wade through lots of useful info.

+1
    Last two digits are 94, so it's a 1994. I don't have any of the engine remains; from the sound of it, it doesn't sound like any of it was good. I will try and get some pics up of the damage and the areas you requested tomorrow. I didn't see anything else on the hull that had me worried except for the broken piece. And by the jet pump intake, do you mean the "grate" that is on the bottom of the hull towards the rear?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
    Last two digits are 94, so it's a 1994.

I don't have any of the engine remains; from the sound of it, it doesn't sound like any of it was good.

I will try and get some pics up of the damage and the areas you requested tomorrow. I didn't see anything else on the hull that had me worried except for the broken piece.

And by the jet pump intake, do you mean the "grate" that is on the bottom of the hull towards the rear?
    So you may also need the engine bed plates, exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe?

And the starter motor, flywheel, magneto stator, flywheel housing, oil pump, intake manifold, intake reeds, probably a bunch of other little things...

Is the water box (muffler) still present? What about the large rubber hoses that connect the exhaust sections together?

+1
    I'll end up needing everything you mentioned, and I did see some big rubber hoses still inside it. I'll include them in the pics as well. I'd really like to find a complete engine, or at least the block halves with the internals as an assembly. Everything else appears to bolt-on and some of it isn't too pricey on ebay, which is the only place i've checked so far.

Course, this is all new territory for me so I'm probably sounding like an idiot.

+1
    If you can find someone parting out a similar model, that might be cost effective compared to buying pieces from multiple sources.

Keep an eye on the Polaris Classifieds section on Greenhulk.

While there are some differences, any Polaris model with a 750 or even 780 engine can be used as a source for parts that will fit into your hull. SL 750, SL 780m SLT 750 and SLT 780. Maybe even SLX 780, if memory serves.

1992 and 1993 were the first two years of PWC production for Polaris so lots of specs were tuned and improved after each year. Your machine will have the new for 1994 modular 148mm jet pump. Modular jet pump parts are interchangeable all the way to 2004 models.

1994 was also the first year the Fuji engine did not have water cooling in the crankcase. This simplifies the cooling water routing and made for easier winterization.
    Last edited by K447; 06-23-2014 at 12:47 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Maybe even SLX 780, if memory serves.
    Yep.

Also - Now is a good time to revisit some of those other classified ads without titles. I have found it more economical to buy another ski (or two) to help fill in a lot of the holes. Ebay is great for one or two parts here and there, but assembling a full motor off of ebay is gonna hurt. Buying a "good running" motor from Ebay is also a risk.

SBT offers rebuilt engines with warranty here, if you prefer to go that route.

Parts like exhaust pipe, manifolds, water boxes intake manifolds, are all pretty common. Don't pay a premium for these parts......

+1
    Thanks all for the advice. I found a complete engine on ebay for $300 but sadly, local pickup only and NY is a ways away from MO. I know this will take a while to finish, so for this year, my main thing is just fixing the hole in the hull and making sure the hull is OK. After that, I'll start collecting some of the parts except for the engine itself; that will probably be last. And this ski doesn't have the water cooling? What does that mean, it didn't originally have the straight rail on top that said POLARIS? Is that the water cooling for it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
    ... I know this will take a while to finish, so for this year, my main thing is just fixing the hole in the hull and making sure the hull is OK. After that, I'll start collecting some of the parts except for the engine itself; that will probably be last.

And this ski doesn't have the water cooling? What does that mean, it didn't originally have the straight rail on top that said POLARIS? Is that the water cooling for it?
    These engines are all water cooled. Exhaust pipe, exhaust manifold, cylinders, cylinder heads, all water cooled.

What your engine does not have is water cooling for the lower crankcase. That was only in 1992 and 1993.

Depending on what you find out there, a 'parts' ski may have a better hull bottom that what you have now. Just because you happen to have this particular hull on hand does not mean that is going to be the cost effective hull to work from.

You might consider going at this project from the other direction. First find an engine that you can rebuild or is already good, then figure out what hull to put it in. Hulls are generally cheap, especially if the engine inside is not running, or not there at all. Even complete hulls in decent condition with all the other parts present.

Given the long time frame you have defined, a lot of interesting options are going to pop up.

+1
    Be very cautious when you are putting this project together, you can easily spend $1000 or more on your $100 ski to get it going, & most skis of this vintage aren't worth a grand in good running order. I was thinking of selling mine, but I don't think I would break even with everything I put in it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information