Thread: 2003 Virage oil

2003 Virage oil

the crankcase is full of oil after sitting all winter and when I crank it over, it floods out of the head???? would it be possible that the oil pump failed and gravity flow filled the case from the two oil fittings in the crankcase?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

This is a fuel injected engine, correct?

Did the engine hydro lock (suddenly stop rotating) when you first tried to crank it with liquid oil inside the engine?

It is possible that the oil entered the engine from any one of the four (if fuel injected) oil feed nipples. Each of these oil fittings on the engine has a check valve that is supposed to prevent oil flow when the oil pump is not providing oil pressure.

If one or more of these check valves is stuck in the open position the oil can move via gravity into the engine. This so engines happens even on carburetor engines which do not have any oil fittings on the crankcase.

Yes, it is Ficht. It was dropped off after a person could not start it , so I cannot confirm "hydro lock". So it may not be the oil pump, but check valves? I only ask b/c I did not see oil coming through the lines attached to the "throttle body" as it was cranking???? I thought that the oil pump quit / broke and was allowing a gravity flow??? I usually am requested to remove and block off oil pumps, thus my ignorance. Of course this is not an option on DI.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kcwinkler View Post
    Yes, it is Ficht. It was dropped off after a person could not start it , so I cannot confirm "hydro lock". So it may not be the oil pump, but check valves? I only ask b/c I did not see oil coming through the lines attached to the "throttle body" as it was cranking???? I thought that the oil pump quit / broke and was allowing a gravity flow???

I usually am requested to remove and block off oil pumps, thus my ignorance. Of course this is not an option on DI.
    The oil system pumps oil very slowly when cranking. Even at idle the flow rate is quite low, since these engines just don't need much added oil at low RPM.

The whole point of variable flow rate oil pumps is to only push the oil when the engine is consuming the oil. As RPM rises more of the oil gets blown out of the crankcase. At low RPM most of the oil already in the crankcase tends to stay there.

If hydro locking is a possibility then you may want to pull the heads and cylinders and inspect for piston cracks or other damage. Or just hope the engine is OK, drain the oil and run it...

Once you know it can run properly, then look into what is wrong with the oil system. If engine is damaged then the oil system problem may not matter until the money is found for the engine rebuild.

Removing oil pumps and converting to pre-mix has become 'what we used to do', not so popular now, it seems. On Polaris the oil pumps themselves seem to be very reliable. Actual oil pump failures are rare.

The oiling system tends to be reliable as long as the oil feed hoses are replaced every few years and good quality spring loaded hose clamps are used, along with an OEM oil filter. Regular inspections and seasonal maintenance should keep it reliable.

Keeping the oil tank filled is less hassle than premixing, especially when you have a display to warn you when it gets down to 1/4 tank oil remaining.

Certainly there is value in using 1/2 the oil per tank compared to pre-mixing. Much less exhaust smoke, less carbon black around the exhaust.

And no need to carry extra oil on the watercraft or even with the trailer. I can go through several tankfuls of fuel before even thinking about topping off the oil tank.

I see on a website there are two 90 degree check valves on the lower crankcase, but I can see nothing for check valves on the throttle body. I will try to check those valves. Thanks so much. I do not know how to check the throttle body for check valves. It is hard to imagine damaging pistons, etc. just from cranking as I got the idea that it never started for the guy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kcwinkler View Post
    ... hard to imagine damaging pistons, etc. just from cranking ...
    All depends on how strong the battery was and how much flywheel momentum the starter motor built up before the hydro lock occurred.

It might even have fired one or two power strokes before enough liquid was sloshed upwards to flood the upper chamber.

I had done a compression check and both cylinders were good. I know the power of hydrolock as I have a 3 cylinder Yamaha in the yard that must have had water in the middle cylinder while the outer ones were running. It drove the rod through the block and now I have to tell the owner he basically has nothing, due to no core exchange. I did my best to flush the Polaris last night, alternating batteries and letting the starter rest. It finally did start, smoked crazy, and sounded bad. He overheated it to the point of melting the rear exhaust pipe ( he cut it off. ran it into sand and clogged it and then it overheated). So I have smoke EVERYWHERE but do not know if more of the exhaust is compromised. Should I do a vacuum/leakdown test on the four points of oil introduction into throttle body/crankcase? I mean test the check valves somehow? Should I drain the gas or can I use a Startron Starbrite or other type of product? I am not familiar with the Ficht system and it's problems.

Thread Information