Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supercharger missing parts

I bought my son a 2007 RXT he has ridden it for two seasons no real issues during that time ski has ran fine for about 60 hours of river time. When I purchased the ski about two years ago the person I purchased it from said that they had the ceramic washers replaced so donít worry about that if you hear about the inherent problems with these parts. After meeting up at the river with someone who had exact same year and model my son was puzzled that he could only do about 55mp while other with the same ski were hitting 70mph.

After researching the Green Hulk site I found the test and procedures for the supercharger, I found that the wheel would spin freely with just my finger moving it. I pulled the supercharger. Not having any experience with these components I watched a super charger rebuilt on U Tube. I noticed from watching the video that our super charger shaft that is inserted into the engine during assembly didnít have parts 1 through 7 as shown on page 58 of the 2007 service manual.

1. Nut
    2. L-ring
    3. Spring Washers
    4. Lock Washers
    5. Ceramic/ or metal wahers
    6. Drive gear
    7. Needle Bearnings

Goes without saying the supercharger has never worked while we have owned the ski. (yes It tried to contact seller he is long gone)

The question is if those parts came off while the supercharger was installed on the ski and the ski ran for 60 hours wouldnít all hell have broken loose within the engine as soon as those parts came off the shaft, no possibility that the parts could just fall into the bottom of the oil pan?

My plan is to send the supercharger to Jerry, get it rebuilt and reinstall. What about torque specs for installation of the three bolts that attach sc to engine? Any thoughts, thanks for your time.

+1
    Even when just the ceramic washers grenade, they pretty much take out the entire engine, let alone if all the other components came off during operation.

I'm thinking when the PO got the SC "rebuilt", "someone" left all those parts off the SC (maybe the PO himself simply removed them, to prevent possible damage?!.....), than reinstalled the charger. Without the drive gear on the SC, that means you were pretty much running an NA Rotax engine, which would DEF explain the speed difference.

+1
    Unfortionatly you will need to pull the motor..all theose parts are sitting in the PTO housing screen IF not broken up and through the motor...(that is if they were even installed on the charger)The cases will have to be split,all the parts located and then the blocks oil passages all flushed..a complete internal inspection of the motor will be neccessary....this unfortionatly is not a good situation for you...

4. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    If it would have popped while riding, some damage would have been done. And 60 hours without any issue, even when bouncing around through chop, something would have worked its way towards moving parts...

What are the chances that he never put those parts on?...just removed what was there, slapped it back in, and said 'Yea, no ceramics to worry about!"....

+1
    lol your in for a treat when you get that sucker boostin right.

I'm sort of thinking that if this ski ran for 60 hours with no problem whatsoever except 55 instead of 70, there's a good chance that the supercharger was disabled on purpose and he might be able to simply slap in a properly rebuilt supercharger and ride off into the sunset.

I mean, what are the chances that his supercharger grenaded and all those parts fell down into the motor and it ran and sounded fine for 60 hours? Slim to none, right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    If it would have popped while riding, some damage would have been done. And 60 hours without any issue, even when bouncing around through chop, something would have worked its way towards moving parts...

What are the chances that he never put those parts on?...just removed what was there, slapped it back in, and said 'Yea, no ceramics to worry about!"....
    You didnt have anything to do with this did you????

Quote Originally Posted by surfcitypops View Post
    I'm sort of thinking that if this ski ran for 60 hours with no problem whatsoever except 55 instead of 70, there's a good chance that the supercharger was disabled on purpose and he might be able to simply slap in a properly rebuilt supercharger and ride off into the sunset.

I mean, what are the chances that his supercharger grenaded and all those parts fell down into the motor and it ran and sounded fine for 60 hours? Slim to none, right?
    Correct....This thing would have had issues....BUT there is a reason these parts are gone as you and I both know and IF it was because of the ceramics failing....then he still needs to pull this thing apart...either way this motor needs to be pulled and inspected.....At least thats what i would do.... ....Asuming these parts are not down in the bottom is a good bet..BUT strange things can and do happen in these motors with shit falling down in them...And to assume the un assumable...never a good idea with these things....

Thanks for input guys. After the half hour ride I took across lake Havasu last week in 25 mph winds and major chop with waves coming over handle bars that loose parts in the engine would have had to move around into something. Remembering two years of riding on the thing and no issues. Prior owner told me ceramics were not in machine. I am thinking that considering cost of pulling engine that I rebuilt SC and ride till it dies. It seems that if a nut, a gear, and other parts fell off of shaft while under power that there would have been major grinding when the parts fell off the shaft.

+1
    brother you have to look at this from both ends instead of a money saving venture... First off where are those parts???secondly why are them parts missing???Third,is the reason those parts are missing because the ceramics failed and they did not want to pay the money to have it fixed...if that's the case Then those ceramic washers are sitting in the bottom of your motor in pieces being ground up and ran through your engine....they are slowly tearing shit up and your motor will eventually blow...this is your jet ski, you can choose as you see fit... unfortunately there is no way to tell either way unless you pull the motor and split the cases...You can spend a little now or as you stated wait for it to blow up and spent a lot later... For the couple hundred dollars it takes to pull the motor clean it and inspect it ....it is a lot cheaper then having to replace the whole thing when it blows up... Like I said its your ski, your choice ,we're just trying to warn you as we've all seen this happen many many many times before good luck brother hope all ends well...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    brother you have to look at this from both ends instead of a money saving venture... First off where are those parts???secondly why are them parts missing???Third,is the reason those parts are missing because the ceramics failed and they did not want to pay the money to have it fixed...if that's the case Then those ceramic washers are sitting in the bottom of your motor in pieces being ground up and ran through your engine....they are slowly tearing shit up and your motor will eventually blow...this is your jet ski, you can choose as you see fit... unfortunately there is no way to tell either way unless you pull the motor and split the cases...You can spend a little now or as you stated wait for it to blow up and spent a lot later... For the couple hundred dollars it takes to pull the motor clean it and inspect it ....it is a lot cheaper then having to replace the whole thing when it blows up... Like I said its your ski, your choice ,we're just trying to warn you as we've all seen this happen many many many times before good luck brother hope all ends well...

If the OP were to drain the oil, would there be any visible or obvious signs (i.e. shavings/filings from when you spin a main/rod bearing) in the oil from a busted SC washer/bearing?

I know, I know, you're still gonna say..... "the only way to be 100% positive is an engine tear-down", but are there any other MUCH easier semi-definitive signs of washer damage sans an engine tear-down?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information