polaris sl750, burned stator wire, hot wire still shorting?

I made the mistake and put the metal box on the battery, and burned up the stator ground. I pulled the stator, ran a new ground wire and soldered it in, I also checked all the other wires between the stator and box, a few were burnt from that wire burning, I taped up all the connections.

Now I'm checking resistance from the + terminal to ground, and its showing resistance, as when I attempt to connect a battery, it sparks a lot every time, so I obviously don't connect it. There is a short somewhere.

The stator appeared fine, I just don't get where its grounded out. I've inspected inside the box multiple times, I'm lost at this point. Currently digging through online manuals/posts trying to find out what wires to test the ohm's on the stator to see if the stator is the problem. Any advice?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Disconnect every wire from the Red/Purple terminal in the electrical box. One of those Red/Purple wires will be responsible for the short circuit. Use your ohm meter to trace the circuits, keep the main battery disconnected until you get the problem corrected.

Once you have narrowed it down, follow the wiring to see where the problem is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Towlieee View Post
    I made the mistake and put the metal box on the battery, and burned up the stator ground. I pulled the stator, ran a new ground wire and soldered it in, I also checked all the other wires between the stator and box, a few were burnt from that wire burning, I taped up all the connections.

Now I'm checking resistance from the + terminal to ground, and its showing resistance, as when I attempt to connect a battery, it sparks a lot every time, so I obviously don't connect it. There is a short somewhere.

The stator appeared fine, I just don't get where its grounded out. I've inspected inside the box multiple times, I'm lost at this point. Currently digging through online manuals/posts trying to find out what wires to test the ohm's on the stator to see if the stator is the problem. Any advice?
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98103

The red/purple wire is showing resistance to ground, I need to yank the flywheel back off and re-inspect the stator. I haven't messed with it since making this post, and ending up finding out the red/purple wire is grounding out. I disconnected the wire inside the box and still grounding. Hoping I didn't fry the stator, looks to be a pretty costly part. Was just trying to help a friend out and de-winterize his jetski (cleaned the carbs, drained fuel, cleaned the vacuum fuel pump, still need to sync the carbs), looks like a simple afternoon job might turn into a $200 repair.

I'm a motorcycle/atv mechanic, wanting to venture into watercraft, learning experience, at least I didn't burn it to the ground!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The red/purple wire is showing resistance to ground, I need to yank the flywheel back off and re-inspect the stator. I haven't messed with it since making this post, and ending up finding out the red/purple wire is grounding out. I disconnected the wire inside the box and still grounding. Hoping I didn't fry the stator, looks to be a pretty costly part. Was just trying to help a friend out and de-winterize his jetski (cleaned the carbs, drained fuel, cleaned the vacuum fuel pump, still need to sync the carbs), looks like a simple afternoon job might turn into a $200 repair.

I'm a motorcycle/atv mechanic, wanting to venture into watercraft, learning experience, at least I didn't burn it to the ground!
    When ohm testing the stator charging coil, both the Yellow and Red/Purple stator wires must be disconnected in the electrical box.

The charging coil connects between Yellow and Red/Purple, but both stator wire ends should measure open circuit to engine ground.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

When ohm testing the stator charging coil, both the Yellow and Red/Purple stator wires must be disconnected in the electrical box.

The charging coil connects between Yellow and Red/Purple, but both stator wire ends should measure open circuit to engine ground.

Good information, thanks! I'll make sure to disconnect the wires tomorrow and re-test when I'm back at the shop

+1
    Test what you can,& you might get lucky with repairs, this is a common mistake, putting the electrical box on top of the battery without the plastic cover, It is also a terrible design mistake made by Polaris that was corrected a couple years later. most often than not you will need to replace that stator & CDI box to get the ski going again.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If you've got a bad wire harness, I have a couple here if you need one.

I cut them from old/bad stators

Thread Information