2005 RXP - Check Engine Light

Hi Everybody,

I am a new member here and appreciate all the great info here. I recently purchase 2 used Seadoos from a friend of mine. One is 2005 RXT Limited with a new motor with only 18 hours on it. The other is a 2005 RXP Race ski that the previous owner used to race and dropped a lot of money into it. He claims it is a 300 hP ski. The RXP has a brand new motor in it with only 1 hour on it. I took them to the lake this weekend to try them out. The RXT has mild mods on it ( R&D Intake Grate, Non Stock Impeller i don' know what pitch it is, bigger wheel super charger, R&D Sponsons ) It ran great with no issues. The RXP has a lot of mods. From what I can tell it has a through hull exhaust out the back, R&D Air intake Bigger Super Charger, bigger injectors, R&D Sponsons, R&D intake grate, non stock impeller I don't know the pitch, larger intercooler, blow off valve, high rev spring and retainers, lifters. etc. I talked to the mechanic from the seadoo shop and verified this but I can't get real specific because there are so many mods on this ski and he can't remember. He did tell me that when he put the new motor in the ski he also rebuilt the supercharger and installed the hi rev springs and retainers etc. This ski is STUPID FAST. I did not want to open it up too much because the motor is brand new. It ran great and sounded great. The only issue I had was the check engine light would come on when I pulled on the throttle. I turned if off and restarted it and the check engine light when out as long as it idled but as soon as I pulled on the throttle the light would come on again. I talked to the previous owner and mentioned this and he told me this happened after they installed the new motor. They thought the ECU was bad so he sent if off to the company that built it to have it checked out and he installed the stock ecu in the ski and told me to try it. But the Check engine light came on again same thing. All the Gauges work it was not running hot, I checked all the fluid levels and everything is good. Should I be concerned? Is it because all of the mods it has the computer is reading something out of parameter? I was thinking of purchasing a V-Tech tuner so I can read any codes and I can also send the info to V-Tech and have them create a map. Is this the right move? Any advice will be great. Thanks

+1
    See if you have any codes. plug in your lanyard, let your display set itself, then press "set" five times...a code will appear....then press again to you get all the codes.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Is it going into limp mode, when trying to go above 3500 RPM's?

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Is it going into limp mode, when trying to go above 3500 RPM's?
    No Limp Mode. It runs great. Just the check engine light. and when I put the key in before I start it the display says Maint

+1
    I have had codes pop up before on my ski, but I don't remember ever seeing the 'check engine light' ... can you describe that better?

The Maint thing is time driven and is just a reminder to rebuild your SC or whatever ... totally meaningless tho, it is not a 'smart' message, and it disappears in a few sec.

The actual codes are often not visible after you shut down the ski and pull the lanyard ... you need to press Set 5 times while the ski is running after you get the message ... then you will see any codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I have had codes pop up before on my ski, but I don't remember ever seeing the 'check engine light' ... can you describe that better?

The Maint thing is time driven and is just a reminder to rebuild your SC or whatever ... totally meaningless tho, it is not a 'smart' message, and it disappears in a few sec.

The actual codes are often not visible after you shut down the ski and pull the lanyard ... you need to press Set 5 times while the ski is running after you get the message ... then you will see any codes.
    Thanks I will try that. I am going to the lake again this weekend

OK here is an update. I went to the lake this past Saturday and as soon as the red light came on and the check engine displayed on the console. I pushed the set button 5 times and I received code P-0326 and pushed mode and got end so I assume that is the only code it threw. I checked the code on this site and if I am correct it is a Knock sensor code. Again the ski ran great and no limp mode. When I bought the ski it had some fuel in it and I don't know how old it was. I put in 91 octane the first time I went out. Maybe I have to clear out the old fuel. I am going to add octane boost before the next trip which will be Saturday the 5th. Bad Sensor? Concerns? and thoughts or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

+1
    Don, do a search of this forum using P0326 ... you will find a lot of threads with good info in them. Some have solved this with replacing the knock sensor, others have had a pinched/failed wire going to the knock sensor. The knock sensor is in the block under the back of the intake manifold, somewhat under the ECU. It has a long skinny black connector ... since it runs great, it might just be that the ECU cannot read the knock sensor at all, so it does not retard timing, just warns you ... might just be a bad sensor (not uncommon).

Some of the other threads explain to how to ohm out the sensor and determine if it is bad too.

I searched the p0326 code and got a lot of info thanks!

Thank You all for all the help! I found the problemClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2005_RXP_ECU.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	336094 I took this ECU out and replaced it with the stock ECU. After reading the sticker on this ECU it say " WITHOUT MY2005 KNOCK-CONTROL. No more check engine light and no more P0326 code. Thank you for all the help

Thread Information