Cool Increase Your Glove Box Size

Ive been here a long time but never registered until now. I hope i do this right and occassionally have something worth posting for the forum.

I have always been frustrated with my Seadoo's glove box size. Its always just a tad bit to small for everything I want to have handy, without having to go under the hood into storage box.

So last week I finally got around to looking on ebay and found a used glove box for $25 delivered. Sure it could be found for less but I got it done and its worth it.

I used my Demel's very thin diamond cut wheel to cut out a thin line around the bottom of the box on the top side of the curve. Just forward of the latch and then all around the back side. This made a flap to pull down.

Then, I cut out a pie shaped section of the used box. A pointed end just behind the latch area, to a 2" tall secion at the back of the box. Then pull down on the old boxs flap and insert the new wedge shape into the opening. I have a good soldering gun with a flat welding tip used to weld plastic and used it to tack weld around the cut lines and then went back to wels it all just like regular metal welding. Although not necessary for all the welding, I did use the small vise grips to hold pieces of used plastic, just like a welding rod for the bigger gaps and thin places.

Pulling the flap down, causes a gap so I just cut off the rear curve of the used box and used it to fill in the gap and then smoothed it all out and checked for waterproof. Awesome. Now I have a 7" deep glove box and never run out of room
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140621_172926.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	333629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140621_173020.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	333630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140621_175341.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	333631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140621_181008.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	333632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140621_172822.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	333634  

looks like a bulls ass sewed up with barbed wire...haaaa....but...NICE JOB...only wish my ski had that much room...well done,very clever

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool69 View Post
    looks like a bulls ass sewed up with barbed wire...haaaa....but...NICE JOB...only wish my ski had that much room...well done,very clever
    Never been close enough to see one of those before, hahahaha

Most of the ugly part is hidden inside the motor compartment anyway, and the insides of the box is full of stuff so cometics isn't a real issue. But I did forget one pic showing the used box after it was cut up that might be helpful and Ill add it now.

I have a 2008 Seadoo GTX and this box sits right on top of the air intake flexible hose. When I checked beforehand, I found that I could press the hose down some in the back without an issue and thats why I made it zero at start point near the latch and then tappered down to 2" deep in the back. Otherwise I would have just added on a whole bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140621_172843.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	333683  

+1
    Nice ! I have thought of doing the same, more storage the better !!

Thread Information