2000 xl700 SLOW! Please help!

Hey everyone so I posted a while back about my xl700 stalling at low speeds and not really accelerating well. I decided to rebuild the carbs because I believed that it was a fuel delivery issue. I just dropped it back in the water and it isn't stalling at idle anymore but when I hit the throttle it starts to go and revs up pretty well but probably only hits 15mph and won't get on plane.

Any idea what the problem could be? So far I checked the compression and it was good, and rebuilt the carbs. I'm thinking that the problem is cavitation now but am not sure. I will add pictures of the impeller/wear ring when I can get to a computer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the wear ring and impeller and a short video of the ski running on the hose with a few short revs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	333679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	333680
    Last edited by mtmgiants; 06-23-2014 at 07:28 PM.

So I called a mechanic yesterday and after talking with him for a while and telling him that I rebuilt the carbs he asked me if I replaced the spring that goes under the float arm. When I said yes he said that that was my problem and that it is the only thing they do not replace when rebuilding carbs. He said that since the new spring is probably slightly heavier it is not allowing the needle to pop off correctly and therefore not going past 1/3 throttle.

I ordered OEM springs online to replace the mikuni rebuild ones and hope that will fix the problem but now am thinking I also might have a carb settings problem. He was talking a lot about the high/low settings on the carbs and saying how that could cause it to stall on the low end and then not reach full top speed on the high end.

Are there any good videos or articles showing how to adjust these settings? And do you guys think it is really all because of the spring now, anyway around it? Thanks!

Thread Information