Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Solas 15/20 + SS/wr install

After some research and reading reviews, I pulled the trigger on the 15/20 Solas prop and SS wear ring. I know some guys aren't a big fan of the SS/wr but all the cool kids at the back of the bus are running them. Any advice for installation tomorrow would be a huge help! Thanks in advance

+1
    This should help a little on removing the ibr

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137116

+1
    Good luck! Don't drink any beers.

+1
    Remove impeller from pump. Put pump and SS WR in freezer for about an hour or so. The plastic WR will come out easily, the SS WR will go in easy too! Drink beer!!!

5. +1 by:

The Solas ss wr has a right and wrong way round. It's printed very faintly on the ring "INSTALL>>>>>>" look for this. Install R&D anti cavitation seal, awesome seal. No messing no sealing, bang in. I put seal on pump then spray the ring and pump shoe like crazy with silicon spray. Then when you pull it up it's almost impossible to pinch the seal. Good idea also to have someone under the ski to guide the propshaft into the prop, they can also keep an eye that all's going well from the prop side.

Don't use the pump shoe nuts n bolts to try too hard to drag the pump into place. If it doesn't go easy and you crank up the torque on those nuts they strip (they're brass so soft and designed to strip before bolt). Use correct torques and sequence when you install pump.

Take a good look at your IBR BEFORE you start. Photograph it. First time for me was a bitch. The mechanism defies all logic. I fitted and re-fitted three times (correctly) each time believing there's no way "that's" right, but it was!!!

Watch the torque on the bolts that secure the IBR on the sides of the pump wall. They bolt into inserts that, if slightly over tightened, spin round then you're uuuuuuuu fkd!! Some GH guys have said they never even got close to the shopmanual torque before they let go. Do it by feel, they don't need to be so tight, most of the force on them is shear force. Tip, when standing behind ski, far back right bolt should be last bolt out n first bolt back in. Once I worked that out, now it's a doddle Feels wrong though.

Finally, remember to override your IBR bucket first, DISCONNECT battery so it can't have a chop at your hands and don't try to electronically move IBR once you've started to unbolt anything.

Enjoy and push for that R&D seal, you love me for it I promise.

Consider going coneless on the prop, much much much more trouble than it's worth. Can, and does, creep up propshaft and put pressure on your carbon seal, which we all want!!! Then at best, you just have to take that wonderful IBR mechanism off again. You won't wanna do that, you'll agree sometime later this week - he he he!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    The Solas ss wr has a right and wrong way round. It's printed very faintly on the ring "INSTALL>>>>>>" look for this. Install R&D anti cavitation seal, awesome seal. No messing no sealing, bang in. I put seal on pump then spray the ring and pump shoe like crazy with silicon spray. Then when you pull it up it's almost impossible to pinch the seal. Good idea also to have someone under the ski to guide the propshaft into the prop, they can also keep an eye that all's going well from the prop side.

Don't use the pump shoe nuts n bolts to try too hard to drag the pump into place. If it doesn't go easy and you crank up the torque on those nuts they strip (they're brass so soft and designed to strip before bolt). Use correct torques and sequence when you install pump.

Take a good look at your IBR BEFORE you start. Photograph it. First time for me was a bitch. The mechanism defies all logic. I fitted and re-fitted three times (correctly) each time believing there's no way "that's" right, but it was!!!

Watch the torque on the bolts that secure the IBR on the sides of the pump wall. They bolt into inserts that, if slightly over tightened, spin round then you're uuuuuuuu fkd!! Some GH guys have said they never even got close to the shopmanual torque before they let go. Do it by feel, they don't need to be so tight, most of the force on them is shear force. Tip, when standing behind ski, far back right bolt should be last bolt out n first bolt back in. Once I worked that out, now it's a doddle Feels wrong though.

Finally, remember to override your IBR bucket first, DISCONNECT battery so it can't have a chop at your hands and don't try to electronically move IBR once you've started to unbolt anything.

Enjoy and push for that R&D seal, you love me for it I promise.
    Looks like quite the complicated install process. I just ordered the R&D seal, sounds like it really helps

+1
    Consider going coneless on the prop, much much much more trouble than it's worth. Can, and does, creep up propshaft and put pressure on your carbon seal, which we all want!!! Then at best, you just have to take that wonderful IBR mechanism off again. You won't wanna do that, you'll agree sometime later this week - he he he!
    It's early and I havent had my coffee yet.. explain in more detail for this NOOB

Keep thinking of things I wish I'd have known the first time.

The newer pumps no longer have the 12mm hex on the opposite end of the shaft, now it's a wierd nut washer thing with a a flat set of edges. Just put this in the bench vice and work with the prop facing up (old way was reverse, prop down on tool). Don't be tempted to fiddle with any other nuts on that shaft, you'll wish you hadn't.

Finally, I promise, smear grease on the inside (definately not the outside) of the wear ring once fitted, before you put the prop in. The tolerance is so tight it help to screw thd prop in without scraping that beautiful SS ring. Will also help first few turns of the prop at first start up, doesn't matter which grease, it'll be blown out in a few seconds in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedXP View Post
    It's early and I havent had my coffee yet.. explain in more detail for this NOOB

Search forum, it's as debated as the SS or plastic argument. Most of the boys on the back of the bus don't run them.

Please don't get panicked by my detailed instructions, it's just good to have them locked somewhere at the back of the grey stuff for when things look impossible, cause they will for sure.

Remember there are a billion guys on here who do this most weekends, just ask. Some like me are on the opposite time zone, so you got 24hr help, use it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information