Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    2009 FX SHO: Top speed issue

    A few weeks ago we were out and I think I sucked up a stick. Engine revved up some, made some beating noises and then when I let go of throttle I guess it was able to release the stick and then when I gave it throttle again it seemed to be fine. Well after that it seems I have lost 5-8MPH on the top end. (I know the speedo its not accurate but I'm comparing 1 for 1 before the stick and after the stick) But the speedo used to read 115-120 KM/h at top speed now it is only reading 100KM/h on the speedo or so. I checked it with GPS on my phone and read ~95KM/h. I'm thinking that the stick damaged something (impeller or something). If you are running at ~30MPH or so you don't really notice it. It seems to accelerate just fine and doesn't seem that sluggish at low speeds. It just doesn't seem to be going near as fast when you are WOT. Does this sound reasonable that it will seem fine at low speed but not be able to hit its top speed?

    I looked at the impeller and it didn't seem to be that bad off. Here is the image and the only place I could really see any damage.
    http://imgur.com/MXykH2H


    Would that little bit of damage cause that little loss of speed? Where else can I check to figure out what is going on?
    Last edited by kur1j; 06-23-2014 at 08:33 PM.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    3,846
    +1
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by kur1j View Post
    A few weeks ago we were out and I think I sucked up a stick. Engine revved up some, made some beating noises and then when I let go of throttle I guess it was able to release the stick and then when I gave it throttle again it seemed to be fine. Well after that it seems I have lost 5-8MPH on the top end. (I know the speedo its not accurate but I'm comparing 1 for 1 before the stick and after the stick) But the speedo used to read 115-120 KM/h at top speed now it is only reading 100KM/h on the speedo or so. I checked it with GPS on my phone and read ~95KM/h. I'm thinking that the stick damaged something (impeller or something). If you are running at ~30MPH or so you don't really notice it. It seems to accelerate just fine and doesn't seem that sluggish at low speeds. It just doesn't seem to be going near as fast when you are WOT. Does this sound reasonable that it will seem fine at low speed but not be able to hit its top speed?

    I looked at the impeller and it didn't seem to be that bad off. Here is the image and the only place I could really see any damage.
    http://imgur.com/MXykH2H


    Would that little bit of damage cause that little loss of speed? Where else can I check to figure out what is going on?
    MInium you need to pull the pump and take a file and remove the nicks in all three blades and re shape the blade curve as best as you can this should help a lot in getting your speed back. Tommy Jordan

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kur1j View Post
    A few weeks ago we were out and I think I sucked up a stick. Engine revved up some, made some beating noises and then when I let go of throttle I guess it was able to release the stick and then when I gave it throttle again it seemed to be fine. Well after that it seems I have lost 5-8MPH on the top end. (I know the speedo its not accurate but I'm comparing 1 for 1 before the stick and after the stick) But the speedo used to read 115-120 KM/h at top speed now it is only reading 100KM/h on the speedo or so. I checked it with GPS on my phone and read ~95KM/h. I'm thinking that the stick damaged something (impeller or something). If you are running at ~30MPH or so you don't really notice it. It seems to accelerate just fine and doesn't seem that sluggish at low speeds. It just doesn't seem to be going near as fast when you are WOT. Does this sound reasonable that it will seem fine at low speed but not be able to hit its top speed?

    I looked at the impeller and it didn't seem to be that bad off. Here is the image and the only place I could really see any damage.
    http://imgur.com/MXykH2H


    Would that little bit of damage cause that little loss of speed? Where else can I check to figure out what is going on?
    MInium you need to pull the pump and take a file and remove the nicks in all three blades and re shape the blade curve as best as you can this should help a lot in getting your speed back. Tommy Jordan
    Do you think this is the sole reason for the loss of so much speed? I honestly didn't think this was much damage to kill 5+MPH off.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    3,846
    +1
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by kur1j View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kur1j View Post
    A few weeks ago we were out and I think I sucked up a stick. Engine revved up some, made some beating noises and then when I let go of throttle I guess it was able to release the stick and then when I gave it throttle again it seemed to be fine. Well after that it seems I have lost 5-8MPH on the top end. (I know the speedo its not accurate but I'm comparing 1 for 1 before the stick and after the stick) But the speedo used to read 115-120 KM/h at top speed now it is only reading 100KM/h on the speedo or so. I checked it with GPS on my phone and read ~95KM/h. I'm thinking that the stick damaged something (impeller or something). If you are running at ~30MPH or so you don't really notice it. It seems to accelerate just fine and doesn't seem that sluggish at low speeds. It just doesn't seem to be going near as fast when you are WOT. Does this sound reasonable that it will seem fine at low speed but not be able to hit its top speed?

    I looked at the impeller and it didn't seem to be that bad off. Here is the image and the only place I could really see any damage.
    http://imgur.com/MXykH2H


    Would that little bit of damage cause that little loss of speed? Where else can I check to figure out what is going on?
    MInium you need to pull the pump and take a file and remove the nicks in all three blades and re shape the blade curve as best as you can this should help a lot in getting your speed back. Tommy Jordan
    Do you think this is the sole reason for the loss of so much speed? I honestly didn't think this was much damage to kill 5+MPH off.
    It very well can cause that much speed lose, also inspect the blade angles and be sure the all three look the same you may find one blade angle got bent more than the other two and needs to be streighted to match the others. Tommy Jordan

  5. #5
    Damn thanks.

    How difficult is it to yank the thing out?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 (25hrs) Fx SHO Top speed
    By Toobold in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-30-2016, 04:19 PM
  2. Help 2015 FX SHO top speed issue
    By DoubleTap in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-12-2015, 09:08 PM
  3. 2009 Fx sho top speed?
    By dijsil in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2014, 11:32 AM
  4. help needed on a 2009 fx sho revs and speed
    By darren 4tec in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 04:29 PM
  5. Fx sho top speed
    By shotime2 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 06:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •