Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry PTO cover removal problems

I have 2008 Sea-Doo GTX Limited 215 supercharged that had the ceramic crush washers failure took it to the dealership they told me $2000 + in repairs I figured I could do it for a good bit cheaper but due to all the salt water corrosion from the previous owners neglect I am having to replace the all sorts of parts but the main problem I'm havering right now is the rear PTO cover is stuck on there some kind of tight and I've tried every thing I know to get it of next to destroying it I've put heat on it soaked it over night with blaster gently tapped it with a hammer all the way around in hopes of losening up some of the crud or glue on the gasket pryed on it spit on it kicked and threw a wrench etc. at it and it's stuck on there I'm at the end of my tool box on ideas so if anyone has something I haven't tried I am completely open to suggestions

+1
    The left engine mount has to come off, so does the waterpump / thermostat cover bolts, and the drive shaft has to be removed as well.

Also 08's never had ceramic washers in them just metal ones.

It is an 08 registerd sea doo with a stamped 07 engine in it my guess is it that it's an early 2008 jetski

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dw2tew View Post
    It is an 08 registerd sea doo with a stamped 07 engine in it my guess is it that it's an early 2008 jetski
    Then it had ceramics in 07'

All the bolts out of the Thermostat housing, and cover?
    Is the motor out of the ski?

Ok got the cover off after taking the water pump/thermostat housing off do you have any suggestions on how to flush the engine out to get the ceramic pieces out of the engine there is a video on YouTube where a guy pumps parts cleaner through the bottom end I was going to try that method and see how well it worked but I don't think that will get up into all of the oil passages or anyThing on the top end. Any pointers or suggestions on that ?

+1
    Is the motor out of the ski?

Parts cleaner or brake cleaner will dissolve the oil, and most metal fragments, will be loose, and free after use. maybe some compressed air would help some too.

That is why it is better for a full teardown, to assess the damage, and see what needs cleaning / replacing.

Pull both oil pump cover plates, and post pics.

+1
    I am doing the exact same thing. How do I remove that oil pump to check it from the PTO housing ? I have removed those 3 screws but it doesn't come out. Do I need to pull it harder. The oil pump with that water pump plastic impeller.

Thank you

+1
    the PTO oil pump, cover plate has 2) dowel pins for alignment. U will need to pull straight up on it. The shaft goes thru the PTO cover, and needs a special tool to replace the bearing/seal in it, without damaging it. The plastic water pump impeller unscrews off the shaft (PITA)

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dw2tew View Post
    Ok got the cover off after taking the water pump/thermostat housing off do you have any suggestions on how to flush the engine out to get the ceramic pieces out of the engine there is a video on YouTube where a guy pumps parts cleaner through the bottom end I was going to try that method and see how well it worked but I don't think that will get up into all of the oil passages or anyThing on the top end. Any pointers or suggestions on that ?
    anything short of a complete teardown is a waste of time/money..given the corrosion issues, it's a really good idea to go with a teardown proper repairs and new engine paint after proper clearing of the mess.

10. +1 by:

GGG

+1
    I dont even pull the PTO cover for any reason without pulling the motor. Its just a lot easier. especially when it comes to cleaning gasket surfaces and getting those bottom bolts off that you cant see. Less of a mess in the bilge too

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information