Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trailer tires

Trailer tires

Currently have a Karavan double trailer with H188st175/80d13 tires. I usually tow only 7 miles each way to get to the usual ramp. In July I am taking a trip 260 miles each way and am concerned about the tires. Does anyone think I should get radial tires and put on for the trip. Or will I be ok with these tires. Thanks for any advice.
    Al

Banned User
    +1
    How old are the tires you have now?

3. +1 by:

The tires I have now prob only have 150miles on them.. The trailer was bought new in june 2012 so the tires are 2 years old.
    Al

+1
    Go to wallmart and buy two tires as spares. If you dont use them take them back.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by alka2710 View Post
    Currently have a Karavan double trailer with H188st175/80d13 tires. I usually tow only 7 miles each way to get to the usual ramp.

In July I am taking a trip 260 miles each way and am concerned about the tires.

Does anyone think I should get radial tires and put on for the trip. Or will I be ok with these tires? Thanks for any advice.
    Al
    I would always carry a spare tire, even for short trips. If a tire fails it will always (Murphy's Law) be at an inconvenient time and place. Not always possible to buy a replacement nearby.

Fill the trailer tires to the air pressure shown on the tire sidewall, unless the trailer itself has a different tire pressure specification.

Trailer tires tend to die from age and exposure, not tread wear. Low mileage actually works against the tire, the more frequent road use it gets the more slowly the tire will degrade. A tire that spends most of its time sitting still will harden and become fragile more quickly.

Inspect the trailer tires. Look in the grooves between the treads for signs of cracking. Is the sidewall rubber dried with surface cracking? Any signs of rubber aging means the tires are no longer 'young' and probably should be replaced.

Check all the stuff on the trailer that normally does not get much attention. Tighten every bolt, inspect the wiring, check the coupler adjustment for slack and tension.

Also inspect the tow vehicle and hitch. Look for fraying wires, corroded electrical connections, rusty or loose bolts, metal cracks, etc.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by alka2710 View Post
    ... The trailer was bought new in june 2012 so the tires are 2 years old.
    Al
    Check the DOT date code on each tire sidewall. The tires may be older than you think.

+1
    Trailer tires rarely "wear out" like a vehicle tire would. Most trailer tires age out.

But I see that K447 covered it well. Perform the checks, always have a spare

IMO, If the tires were cared for and with proper PSI, I would expect to work just fine for your trip.
    Basically 2.5 yrs old, technically should be ok but inspect as suggested.

My trailer has gone on 600 mi round trips a few times per year for past 2 years. I've only owned for the past 2 years; ski and trailer where used, but new to me. This mont I've replaced my 2007 Triton, single, 4.80/12 Bias tires with 5.30/12 bias (and new Alum wheels) "recstuff was helpful"

Also do not forget - Fresh grease on the bearings never hurts.
    Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered a spare tire and tightened all the bolts. Going to grease up the bearings good and off I go. I also inspected the tow hitch and wiring . Surprised to see a few bolts on the trailer could use some snugging up.
    Al

+1
    Better to be surprised in the driveway than 70 on the highway.

11. +1 by:

Trip went well. Total of about 600 miles round trip. Thanks for all the replies.
    Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information