Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salt Water Engine Maintenance

I just bought a new 2014 VX Cruiser Waverunner, I am new to the PWC world. I have been reading up but I can't really find a definitive answer on what anti corrosion product should be used to spray your engine down with after a Salt Water ride? Some people say it should be a marine silicone based product. Others say absolutely do not use silicone because it cracks after a while. I bought a few cans of the XPS Anti corrosion spray that BRP sells. But this is not silicone based.

Some people said to spray WD40 all over the engine...but I refuse to do that.

The dealer even told me not to lightly rinse the salt off the engine after I use it. So I can't really trust what the dealer tells me because that makes no sense whatsoever.

I was also told to use the Rust Check spray in a green can but that's an oily mess so I don't want to use that either.

Any suggestions?

dblandford,

I hear you I read up within forums here and learned many experienced owners use and recommend: FLUID FILM see below from their web page.

http://www.fluid-film.com/products/properties.html

FLUID FILM Aerosol & Non-Aerosol Pump

Product Data: #207
    Effective October 2013

FLUID FILM is a penetrant and lubricant also used for corrosion prevention. It is a non-toxic, long lasting, thixotropic liquid that has been used for over fifty years in the highly corrosive marine environment of ships and offshore drilling rigs. More recently they have been introduced and successfully utilized in the aerospace, aircraft and automobile industries as well as for home maintenance. Facilities where they are used include the following: government facilities, commercial fishing concerns, gas companies, agriculture, salt plants, municipal plants, power plants, manufacturing plants and pulp and paper mills.
    FLUID FILM is formulated from specially processed wool-wax, highly refined petroleum oils and selected agents to provide corrosion control, penetration, metal wetting and water displacement. The long lasting product contains no solvents, will not dry out and will penetrate to the base of all metals, providing corrosion protection from both natural and industrial atmospheres. Heavily corroded and/or frozen parts such as nuts, bolts, shafts, etc. that would normally be damaged during maintenance, can be salvaged by applying FLUID FILM.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by dblandford View Post
    I just bought a new 2014 VX Cruiser Waverunner, I am new to the PWC world. I have been reading up but I can't really find a definitive answer on what anti corrosion product should be used to spray your engine down with after a Salt Water ride? Some people say it should be a marine silicone based product. Others say absolutely do not use silicone because it cracks after a while. I bought a few cans of the XPS Anti corrosion spray that BRP sells. But this is not silicone based.

Some people said to spray WD40 all over the engine...but I refuse to do that.

The dealer even told me not to lightly rinse the salt off the engine after I use it. So I can't really trust what the dealer tells me because that makes no sense whatsoever.

I was also told to use the Rust Check spray in a green can but that's an oily mess so I don't want to use that either.

Any suggestions?

3. +1 by:

+1
    Light rinse with the hose, blow dry with leaf blower, vacuum out water at bottom of hull with wet/dry vac, spray everything with light coat of fluid film, use rag to wipe up excess FF. 176 hours and engine looks brand new.

5. +1 by:

Wow...out of all the discussions I have read nobody has ever mentioned Fluid Film.

Anyone know is XPS Anti Corrosion would work?

+1
    I have 150 hours on my FZR riding in salt, plus 100 on a FX HO... and both look new. Here's what I do: wash the ski, lightly rinse down the engine, remove any water sitting in the bilge (use a shop vac or a towel), let air dry for a few hours with the seats off, spray with fluid film.

Fluid film is literally the best. Great for metal, rubber, plastic, etc.

+1
    I use fluid film also. Whatever you decide to use do not use products that have solvents in them as they will degrade all the rubber and plastic parts over time.

9. +1 by:

First time I can say that there is consistent response on what to use. I will go get some Fluid Film and try that. Thanks for the information. Cheers.

+1
    When my ski is on a float. I give the motor and inside a quick rinse with the hose. Get the water out with a rag/pump/quick ride. Then flush it, wash it and then let it sit in the sun with the front hatch open and seat off to dry out in the sun. After that I spray crc-656 that I have in a spray bottle that I buy by the gallon everywhere. Go nuts, all electric connections, motor, carbs, EVERYTHING. My ski is 14 years old and since I bought it 85 hours(201 on the hull) ago has seen only saltwater until two weeks ago when I took it to lake Hopatcong, no rust in side my ski at all.

When it's out of the water I just use an air compressor and a shop vac to dry it and suck out any water.

+1
    I'll second the CRC-656.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STUNNA View Post
    Light rinse with the hose, blow dry with leaf blower, vacuum out water at bottom of hull with wet/dry vac, spray everything with light coat of fluid film, use rag to wipe up excess FF. 176 hours and engine looks brand new.
    Yep. Fluid film it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information