+1

My 587 will cook your omlet

Hey guys, hope you can give me some peace of mind on this: I'm boggled by how hot my '92 Seadoo 580 gets when it runs. My 787 never gets this hot! After cruising even at half throttle for a minute, it gets hotter than you can touch, ESPECIALLY on the side of the jugs. The top of the head is cooler, but the exhaust pipe is barely warm, waterbox hot, but not as hot as the engine. I checked the whole system, no obstructions anywhere. While it's idling, I took off the main cooling intake line intake and get a thick jet of water about 6" tall, but the outlet gives me only about an inch or two. It's bone stock single carb (70 pilot, 127.5main, 24psi pop-off, 1-turn low 1 turn high) with a few screens removed from flame arrestor, compression at 140 on both holes. The exhaust pisser is strong and comes out warm, the head pisser is weaker and is really hot. It starts and runs good, but gets hot as hell. What gives??

Anyone know what temp it's supposed to run at?

Anyone know WHY they have that ridiculous outlet on the bottom of the exhaust manifold, and would it help if I blocked that?

Why is the main outlet orifice SO tiny (like 1/4") when the outlet hose is 3/4"??

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check the entire cooling system and all fittings to the exhaust pipe

you might have significant sand buildup in the jugs and backflushing may not do it depending on conditions ( if it was muck..it might actually be blocking the passageways)

check out the diagrams of Seadoo cooling systems. DO NOT block anything..that assures a complete meltdown.

check to make sure water flows from the jug outlets(port side of engine)

the smaller outlets are air bleeds and water streaming from these telltales informs you that the cooling system is getting water

sand weeds and bug nests are common causes of this kind of problem

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    check the entire cooling system and all fittings to the exhaust pipe

you might have significant sand buildup in the jugs and backflushing may not do it depending on conditions ( if it was muck..it might actually be blocking the passageways)

check out the diagrams of Seadoo cooling systems. DO NOT block anything..that assures a complete meltdown.

check to make sure water flows from the jug outlets(port side of engine)

the smaller outlets are air bleeds and water streaming from these telltales informs you that the cooling system is getting water

sand weeds and bug nests are common causes of this kind of problem
    Checked all fittings, none are blocked or corroded. All calibrated fitting numbers match what the spec calls for. There is no sand or muck of any kind in the jugs, as I've just reassembed this engine. It was running hot even before disassembly. I'm pretty sure this is what killed the crank. Also, there are no outlets on the bottom of the jugs on the 587. All the water comes back out of the head.

According to the diagram: The water comes in and is split between cooling the pipe, and being injected into the exhaust stream. After the water cools the pipe, it enters the exhaust manifold, where about half of it immediately exits through this fitting at the bottom. What water makes it to the engine goes through the jugs and out the head near the carb. The outlet orifice of that main outlet pipe is skinnier than the outlet of the exhaust manifold fitting. It makes no sense why they're dumping half the cooling water before it has a chance to go through the block...
    Last edited by IDoSeaDoo; 06-25-2014 at 11:47 AM.

+1
    PS the beeper is connected and never goes off, but I've also never had water sizzle off the motor, even when it's super hot, so I know it's not getting above 220. Anyone know what the ideal temp is for one of these 580's?

Thread Information