Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Engine full of water and jet ski has not been in water PLEASE HELP

Purchased my 2007 Sea Doo RXT a few months ago used. Took it to the lake once and ran it for 15-20min to test it and it worked fine. Changed the oil and there was no water in the oil. Upgraded the supercharger, upgraded the fuel injectors, and put in new spark plugs. I cranked the jet ski and tested it with the hose water and it worked fine. Stuck it in storage for a few months and pulled it out today since I am going to the beach tomorrow. Ski wouldn't turn over so I pulled plugs and turned it and a bunch of water came spraying out. The ski hasn't even been in the water since I changed the oil. The only thing I can think of is maybe I turned on the water before I did the ski but I dont see how it could fill the engine with water.

Can I save it before my trip tomorrow? What exactly needs to be done and what is the quickest way to get the water out? What caused this to happen?

Thanks for you help!

+1
    sounds like you turned off the motor with the water hose still running
    and let the hose fill up the exhaust and then into the cylinders
    not a good thing....good luck

3. +1 by:

+1
    I turned the engine over for about 15 sec every 10 min and I think I got all the water out. I got the ski running. What do I need to do now to prevent any damage? Should I let the ski run in my driveway for a while to burn off all the water? Im assuming I need a oil change at least. It looked like there was some water on the dipstick when I pulled it.

+1
    change the oil as many times as it takes to get all the water out
    how many cylinders had water in them

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you'll find plenty of threads on this problem with the search ....

don't run it out of water for too long..that's bad..even if you are on the hose.

couple of oil changes for sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    change the oil as many times as it takes to get all the water out
    how many cylinders had water in them
    At least 2 of them. Maybe all 3.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you'll find plenty of threads on this problem with the search ....

don't run it out of water for too long..that's bad..even if you are on the hose.

couple of oil changes for sure.
    Yes I read all of them and they did not calm my nerves any.

I only ran it for about 5min just now on the hose.

Do you think I will be ok using it in the ocean? I am going to PCB tomorrow and I was planning on bringing it with me and the family. We had plans to visit some of the islands and do plenty of ocean riding.

If I need to I will run it for a day or two, do an oil change, then day or two, then oil change. Is that what I need to do?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you'll want to get as much of the contaminated oil out for sure, and you have to be watchful while you do it. No fun having a driveline failure, even when it's a party with several skis on hand.

Check the dipstick..if it has any milky color to it change the oil, at the last oil change before your trip, change the filter.

Not that much to worry about getting some water in there happens all the time and none of the sinkers I've done since I have been open here have ever come back with a blown engine..well maybe one...not real sure about it as "somebody else was riding it" when it grenade.

don't push it too hard for the first couple of hours. The right way to do it is outlined in the service manual, you don't have time for that right now..change the oil a few times till it looks clear after a 3 minute run, then slap in a new filter and check the oil a few times while you're out for milkyness ( beware the dipstick will be pretttyyy hot)

after you get back..one more oil change and I'd call it a lesson learned.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    If water sat in those cylinders for months.... those cylinders are trashed! Not to mention, you probably bent rods trying to start it when it was hydro locked.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you'll want to get as much of the contaminated oil out for sure, and you have to be watchful while you do it. No fun having a driveline failure, even when it's a party with several skis on hand.

Check the dipstick..if it has any milky color to it change the oil, at the last oil change before your trip, change the filter.

Not that much to worry about getting some water in there happens all the time and none of the sinkers I've done since I have been open here have ever come back with a blown engine..well maybe one...not real sure about it as "somebody else was riding it" when it grenade.

don't push it too hard for the first couple of hours. The right way to do it is outlined in the service manual, you don't have time for that right now..change the oil a few times till it looks clear after a 3 minute run, then slap in a new filter and check the oil a few times while you're out for milkyness ( beware the dipstick will be pretttyyy hot)

after you get back..one more oil change and I'd call it a lesson learned.
    Yes the dipstick is milky. Do I need the change the oil filter when I do the oil change tomorrow or wait and do it the oil change after that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information