Can someone set the record straight on NanoXcel hulls?

I hope this doesn't result in a flame war as just about every thread I read on the hull technology does... but here it goes.

It seems people are all over the place when it comes to the quality of NanoXcel and I'm trying to wrap my head around what exactly the issues are. I've read threads on blistering and peeling paint on nearly new skis, minor delamination on lighty used skis, and major delamination/destruction on skis that are beached often, on roller trailers or bunks, etc. I know that there are fringe cases and lemons out there but it also seems there are some people with real concerns about this hull technology. It also seems that the hulls produced today are far superior to the initial ones.

So what are the real concerns vs the noise? I plan on beaching my ski occasionally, perhaps not often. Should I expect the paint to wear down quickly? I do like to play on the waves a bit. It doesn't sound like jumping is a common cause for NanoXcel failure, at least no more than any other hull? It seems the paint issues are a couple years old and perhaps have been addressed by Yamaha? I see some members have issues with warranty repair for the hulls, but I believe those guys were renters.

It also seems any time something goes wrong with a Yamaha hull people point at NanoXcel while failures from other manufactures are just a defect in their specific ski. Are the failure rates of Nano hulls higher than any other manufacturer in similar conditions?

+1
    It sounds like you have done a fair amount of research and have an open mind. I owned two Yamahas made from NanoXcel and if I could summarize the experience in one sentence it would be something like this-it is a design that is not very robust and there is a lot of variation in the manufacturing process which leads to premature failures. The design works well when subjected to the use of an "average" rider. This means that it is used about 30 hours a year and in fairly calm waters. The failures can be put in two categories-rider related and design/manufacturing related. Rider related failures occur when the boat is used in a way that the designers didn't anticipate. IMHO the root cause of a lot of failures is that the hulls flex too much in the highly stressed areas. Two of these areas are the leading edge of the keel and the pump tunnel. The mechanism of failure in some cases is fatigue from repetitive flexing and explains why most riders don't have any issues-the hull just hasn't been used that much.

Even considering that the information gathered from a forum on the internet can be incomplete and misleading, I believe many failures of NanoXcel aren't reported because the rider doesn't know they exist. It takes a close inspection to see the small cracks that propagate over time.

+1
    I've had 4 skis with Nanoxcell. Your question sounds like 2 in that you have 1. Hull issues and 2. Paint issues. I've never had hull issues like cracks or blistering before on any of the hulls. I also am more of a recreational rider with no intent of "pushing the ski to the limit". I don't tend to beach it, but some do on rocky or rough condition beaches which leads to hull damage. It isn't as tough to take a direct hit like from say a floating tree limb, so I ride with some measure of caution. Any hull will suffer damage most likely, but Nanoxcell with show more of it. The paint issues is something different as I feel since 08, Yamaha doesn't put enough paint on the hulls. Small scratches will show the underneath even on the top deck. They use a single stage paint meaning color and clear coat in one, so will require more care to avoid dock rash, handling issues and rough care that will lead to paint repair. I've experienced paint peeling as others have on the 2014 line, but Yamaha is to warranty it. If you buy used, make sure it was well cared for as repair requires epoxy resin and can get pricy even just to match the color coded paint for touch up. If you buy new, make sure you keep and eye on the bottom paint & keep that warranty.

Thanks pro1200!

A couple follow ups if you have the time:

Is a keel guard sufficient to rectify the keel issue? From what I've read it seems the issue is gradual wearing down from dragging sand or scraping floating dock edges and the guard would prevent most of that.

For the pump tunnel, is that something Yamaha repairs under warranty when a failure occurs? Is the pump tunnel failure more a function of torque and acceleration or the downward force of landing a jump or high speed cornering? ie: would this occur more for a SVHO aggressively riding flat lakes or a regular HO jumping the waves?

For those riders that have a crack or issue they don't know about, is that damage something that can be lived with like cracks in gel coat or is that a total failure waiting to happen? Or do we know yet?

Does anyone know what real life failure rates are like? Perhaps someone at a dealer or in a shop? Is Yamaha seeing more hull failures than, say, Seadoo sees IBR or Suspension failures, or Kawi sees for whatever their additional maintenance concern might be? Does NanoXcel topple Yamaha from being the most reliable ski on the market or are these failures infrequent enough to be statistically insignificant, just extremely vocal and visually impressive?

I'm considering a regular FX HO leaving it stock and pretty much running out the 5yr warranty then doing it again. Although, based on the limited time I had my VX before it blew up, I'm guesstimating I'll be ~100hr/yr rider.

Thanks again!

Thanks Lee! When I get back on the water we need to ride together! I need to get my VX from the shop and out of my garage then find her replacement. I'm hoping next month I'll be back in action.

It sounds like the paint issue is purely cosmetic and you've had no problem warrantying it? I'm not too concerned with cosmetic issues, especially if Yam is covering them. I'm assuming they do not cover damage caused by hitting a limb? Do shops charge more to repair NanoXcel or is roughly the same (assuming you find one that uses the right materials)?

After a boat with a blown engine and now a ski with a locked engine I'm buying new and warrantied. At this point it worth the extra cash to actually ride rather than saving money and sitting idle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
    Thanks pro1200!

A couple follow ups if you have the time:

Is a keel guard sufficient to rectify the keel issue? From what I've read it seems the issue is gradual wearing down from dragging sand or scraping floating dock edges and the guard would prevent most of that.
    I never tried one but I doubt it would stop the flex. It should reduce the abrasion of the hull but the best approach would be to anchor the boat off shore whenever possible.

For the pump tunnel, is that something Yamaha repairs under warranty when a failure occurs? Is the pump tunnel failure more a function of torque and acceleration or the downward force of landing a jump or high speed cornering? ie: would this occur more for a SVHO aggressively riding flat lakes or a regular HO jumping the waves?
    Yamaha did warranty my tunnel crack but it took about 2 months to complete the repair. From my research the most common cause of tunnel cracks is poor assembly at the factory. The tunnel is reinforced on each side with a plastic plate that is glued to the hull. If this plate isn't properly glued the hull flexes from the water pressure and eventually cracks. There is a tunnel reinforcement piece available in the Greenhulk store to eliminate the possibility of failures.

For those riders that have a crack or issue they don't know about, is that damage something that can be lived with like cracks in gel coat or is that a total failure waiting to happen? Or do we know yet?
    Cracks in the hull are analogous to rust on a car-it doesn't cause a problem immediately but it keeps growing until the hull is breached. Again, it depends on the duty cycle that the hull is subjected to.

Does anyone know what real life failure rates are like? Perhaps someone at a dealer or in a shop? Is Yamaha seeing more hull failures than, say, Seadoo sees IBR or Suspension failures, or Kawi sees for whatever their additional maintenance concern might be? Does NanoXcel topple Yamaha from being the most reliable ski on the market or are these failures infrequent enough to be statistically insignificant, just extremely vocal and visually impressive?
    Failure rates are unknown and unknowable. My opinion, based on my experience, is that Yamaha's highly acclaimed reliability is undeserved. Does this make it an unsuitable boat for you? Not at all. My gripe with the product is that the failures I had could not be repaired with reasonable efforts.

I'm considering a regular FX HO leaving it stock and pretty much running out the 5yr warranty then doing it again. Although, based on the limited time I had my VX before it blew up, I'm guesstimating I'll be ~100hr/yr rider.

Thanks again!
    (my responses are above in red)

I applaud your thorough effort to understand the product but unfortunately there are a lot of unknowns. What works for one person might not work for you. Good luck with your purchase!

Thread Information