Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

SC Bearing Questions

With all the SC Bearings that seem to fail, it got me wondering about them.

#1, What is the exact spec of the SC bearings? Bore and OD and Width?
    #2. Are they just a Ball Bearing?
    #3. Has this become more of an issue with bigger wheels? The more boost, the more Axial load? (fore and aft)?
    #4. Is there and Angular contact ball bearing that could be used instead?
    http://www.timken.com/en-US/products...s/angular.aspx

I'm just wondering if the axial loads are too much for a standard ball blearing, if that's what's installed?

+1
    RPM is the issue the SC spins faster the the bearing specs.

+1
    Stock bearing # 6200 C3

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    RPM is the issue the SC spins faster the the bearing specs.
    Its an issue at the stock rpm limit......enter 8800+ rpm! We need bearings designed for jet engines, or a way to support the shaft inside the PTO.

5. +1 by:

+1
    They are 6200 series bearing with a C3 clearance. They are a "deep groove" type ball bearing to support higher axial loads... in my opinion the problem with bigger wheels is simply the fact that the RPMs goes further and further out of the range where the bearings were intended to operate... As you get more boost and keep raising the rev limiter and turning harder and faster it all adds up.

I am currently attempting to source them on a component basis... I am tired of paying $50 for a pair of bearings that a bearing house can get me for $10-15 each. The thing that is stopping me is finding them with the correct cage, metal cages build more heat, it needs to be the fiber reinforced phenolic type cage... that type of cage is what the OEM bearings come with, and imagine this... they used the best thing available... I cannot find anything with a "limiting speed" above 36k rpms... with an 8300 rev limiter the SC is spinning 41,500 rpm.

+1
    In the end the only real fix is to eliminate the supercharger all together. Go turbo!

8. +1 by:

+1
    I work closely with the people at FAG, actually more so with there precision bearing group, Barden. I use Barden for there "super precision bearings". I use them in my spindles at the shop. Some of the spindles we use for our grinding process turn well over 30k. If someone can give me the manufacturer & part number, ill see if my souce can give me the equivelent in one of there precision bearings. Can't hurt.

+1
    I got all the specs from SKF on the current 6200 C3 we all use now. My contact is on it. If there is anything out there on the planet that can handle more rpm, he will know. Keep you guys posted.

+1
    Remember, the bigger the wheel or the faster we spin it, it want's to move aft, as it sucking in more and more. that why the touchdowns are always on the outer housing.
    If the stocks are just a ball bearing, were probably exceeding its axial load, which is not very high for a standard ball bearing. That's probably why the cages shatter, they are taking the axial load rather than the bearing race.
    Angular contact ball bearings are designed for both rotational speed and axial load taking the stress off the cages. They are like a tapered roller bearing but use balls and can do high speed. Tapper rollers can't, builds up too much heat
    Installing them would be having the outside one resisting movement of the shaft away from the engine, and the inner one doing the opposite?

+1
    I never seen a sc apart before. Does the bearing get pressed onto the shaft and the outside into the housing? Can someone post a pic of the bearing? And a shaft with the bearings installed on it. Waiting for confirmation but, possibly found some from Barden then when in oil lubrication, can spin up to 110k.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information