+1

Bought my 2nd ski. 1100 triple. What should I expect ?

Last fall I picked up a GP 800 and someone here said while it's a nice ski I would get the itch for more speed. While that may be true, only have one ski sucks cause what's the wife or my son supposed to ride ?

Yesterday I picked up a 1996 1100 triple wave venture from a guy at work. He said he hadn't ridden it in 4 yrs. Before he put it up he had new carbs put on (or re-built I forget), had it serviced, and had the choke replaced with a primer cable in the spot the choke used to be?? Said he rode it once after that and had the guy winterized it. Anyhow hopefully it will turn over and start. It's dirty from sitting uncovered under trees but it should clean up nicely and the engine is clean.

So what kind of speed should I expect from a stock 1100?

I also need to now find a double trailer, and CL isn't turning up many results in my area (South Jersey ) so if anyone knows of a better place to search let me know.

Thanks in advance.

+1
    If your new ski is working right you should be able to hit 48 actual, 55 speedo or so. If it is not premix that would be a great addition, as the older Yamaha's used way too much oil at idle and low-mid speeds. Will be faster and not foul plugs.
    Honestly if its been sitting 4 years it is due for a carb rebuild unless it was stored with no gas at all in tank, lines, and carbs.

+1
    Thanks.
    So the 1100 3 cylinder should be about the same speed as the GP 800 two cylinder? The GP reads 53 at WOT.
    I would have guessed faster.

+1
    My gp1200 topped out about the same. I think the 1200 has more low end acceleration though.

+1
    I also agree that the carbs will need new rebuild kits and I would replace fuel lines and fuel filter too. New plugs and new battery and it should be good to go.

+1
    Oh I bet it needs a new primer too.

+1
    Well I found a 2011 double trailer on CL for $900 and got to talking to the guy on the phone. Come to find out he needed a single trailer and I told him I HAD a single trailer and maybe we could work something out.
    He agreed to bring it by and we could look them both over. Earlier that day I looked at a 2003 double (asking $900) and had the guy down to $700 but I was only willing to go to $600 and still had this other guy to call back. Anyway the 2003 was MUCH cleaner and looked hardly used compared to the 2011.

Anyway after looking each other's trailers over I gave my trailer and $200 bucks. We were both happy.
    He followed me two blocks to the ramp and we floated my ski off and onto the double, parked it in my driveway and he took the single trailer home. Got the new ski off the broken axle trailer it came with and onto the double trailer

So since it runs good on the trailer we took them both down to test it on the water. Got the boy launched on the blue one and I took the new one.
    It did the SAME THING the blue one did when I bought it, Boggs down when in the water under load. Time for carbs rebuild. Kits should arrive tomorrow.

It has three carbs and I took one apart earlier this afternoon. The float valve was stuck shut and gummed up. Not letting any gas in, so that's good. I would guess the other two are in the same condition.

Hopefully a simple rebuild and we'll be good to go !!

+1
    Nice looking pair!

+1
    Thanks LT !

Ticked off.
    Bought the carb rebuild kits off ebay. They offered "Fast & Free" shipping. Ordered it first thing Monday morning and seller promptly sent it out Monday afternoon. Estimated delivery date was on or before July 3rd. TODAY. Well guess what, it didn't come.
    I was tracking it and it was MIA for almost 48 hrs. Lastest info says it's in the Bellmwar sorting facility, outside of Philly.

Since it was only going from Norfolk Va, to South Jersey, I thought it might even arrive Wed. LOL

Forgot tomorrow is a holiday, so I guess the EARLIEST it will be here will be Saturday around 3 when our mailman usually arrives.

No wonder the USPS is in trouble !!!!

Had I known it WOULDN'T arrived today I would have gladly paid the few bucks extra to upgrade to express mail. Never have these issue's with Fed Ex or UPS. What a joke.

I sent off a note to ebay as well about their use of the "Fast & Free" label. While it may be "Free" it's certainly not "Fast". I could have ridden my bike to Norfolk, got the parts and walked home faster then there "Fast & Free" delivery .... rotflmao

+1
    I feel you! I hate having to wait for parts. I get my kits from OSDParts.com. They have express shipping, and they are custom original kits.....they have only what you "need". Plus they throw in capscrews, and you can buy internal screw kits also. I highly recommend! If I recall correctly, top speed of the 1100 venture is about 53. Not super fast, but fast enough. I have been looking for one myself. I have a venture 700 that my wife rides. She never let's me ride it! I like it better than my 760 raider!

Thread Information