Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Waveraider vs. Waverunner

Looking to purchase my first ski(s). These will be for fresh water lake use for my wife and I. I have two boys 8 and 10. The plan is for them to ride with us for now. It would be nice to be able to pull a tube or kneeboard. We have a boat with tower and wake/kneeboard now so we are very familiar with being on the water.

I have found two sets of skis I am considering, both are $3,000 for the pair and both are super clean for their age.

(2) '96 Yamaha Waverunner III (650)
    (2) '94 Yamaha Waveraider (700)

From what I read both seem to be reliable skis but there seems to be a big difference in power and weight, which makes me think the Raiders will be a lot more fun. However, I also think that if they are too unsable that they might not be so much fun after all. My wife rides a dirtbike and fourwheeler pretty well, so I am thinking she may be able to handle the raider ok. Thoughts?

I guess the big question is the stability enough of an issue with two passengers to pass on the faster raider and go with the waverunner. My other thought is resale. It seems the waverrunner has a higher resale per NADA than the raider.

Thanks for any help.

+1
    The Raiders aren't quite as stable but it is doable. They will have a lot more power and speed. They are lighter and more powerful.

+1

Waveraider vs. Waverunner

Can't legally pull a tube with a 2 person jetski. Between the 2 ski's, the waveraider is more desirable. Nobody really talks about the waverunner III around here.

Thanks for the quick responses.

If I have read Kentucky's regulations correctly, a two person ski can pull a rider as long as they have 160 degree mirror to watch the rider.

It looks like the raiders are getting the early lead.

+1
    $3000 sounds kind of high

I agree, the NADA average retail is $1,250, but in looking for at prices for the last couple of weeks, if its below $1,500 is it broke or needs something. The only thing I see under a $1,000 are older 500cc units. Which I am sure that this is probably the worst time of year to buy one. I have noticed that locale makes a fair amount of difference in price.

What is a fair price for the units?
    http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4536245847.html

In talking with the guy they seems like they have been well cared for, which people do not generally offer up the fact that they have neglected something. He has had them 10+ years, always stored indoors, again talking with him he is older and seems like he was pretty meticulous with them.
    Last edited by clovis; 06-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.

+1
    They are in really great shape and have a nice trailer but I wouldn't pay more that $2500 if I were you or $2000 if it was me.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Go with the Raiders !! They are a fun ski to ride. Offer them $2500 and see what happens. Once you get them there is some things to check out. Also see if the seller will meet you at a lake to water test them.

+1
    raider 1100 = unparalleled fun. 45 feels like 80 since it's so unstable in any kind of chop.

I am meeting him this afternoon to take them for a test spin. The $3,000 was already him coming down, and in talking with him I feel like that is real close to his number. It is like buying from yourself, I am older and I know when I have nice stuff compared to what is out there and I price it accordingly. Like I said before I just feel like it is the wrong time to buy. The key to making money on the flip sometimes just boils down to timing. So I guess I know I am overpaying but if I don't have any trouble out of them and have some fun-$500 doesn't seem that bad to spend. Heck, it costs $300/day to rent one, which is how I got started on this path to begin with.

Thanks for all the input.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information