Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX110 idle at 1800

This thing is pissing me off...50 hours....that's not a lot, I shouldn't have to worry about putting this thing away for the season, come back and bring it out only to have a engine check light and idle at 1800 rpm, the only thing I changed was the battery to start it. its a tight fit and maybe I unplugged a wire? anyone in the KC area to work on this thing for me? its proven that this thing and my cars are totally different. I need help.

+1
    Is your idle steady... or hunting up/down? If hunting... could be an air leak at throttle body or intake manifold-to-head.

1800 is the rev limit when the ECU detects overheat. The coolant temp sensor will trigger the overheat thermometer indicator on the display. The exhaust manifold overheat switch... will only trigger the check engine light (I believe). If you're not getting the temp indicator... try unplugging the exhaust manifold overheat temp switch... single wire, push-on connector, rear side of manifold. Unplugging this will make ECU think all is well (but removes the safety overtemp switch protection).

Cheers!

I've run it with it unplugged, I've flushed out coolant and replaced with new coolant and after 30 seconds of run it's contaminated with oil again, sound like a blown head gasket? I'm thinkin so...how can a Machine have 50 hours and blow a head gasket? I've read that the Polaris is an awful wave runner to have as far as reliability goes, am I wrong? Polaris won't even work on it where I'm at. They tell me to sell it. I've replaced the heat sensor already and traced the wire back and all is well with that but the coolant looks like baby poop...nasty oily green.

+1
    I think maybe too much oil in the crankcase overfilled the dipstick I think might give you the wrong fill level. Im not to familiar with the msx I think I have heard of the same problem with the weber 150s.

+1
    Actually the polaris msx has one of the most advanced hull designs to this day. The issue with the msx150 is the weber engine. It was the first model year and had no follow on models. As a result there were a few issues that are normal for this ski.

I have ridden many skis. Hell I live on the delta, on a boat and the msx is by far the most agreeable to ride and any extra cost in owning them is totally offset by their fuel economy.

The reason the shop won't work on it is because to actually fix everything properly you need to pull the engine and rebuild it. It is a lengthy and expensive process and would cost more than the ski is worth to have it done.

The weber MPE series engine was and is still used in many different rec sport vehicles. It has had the previous mentioned issues fixed and is considered one of the most powerful power plants for its displacement and size available still today. Although the sun is setting on this engines production days there are still parts available and it can be built reliably.

I would do a compression check but it does not look good and most likely your engine needs pulled out and rebuild.

Reasons it is worth keeping.
    -Great in ruff water. Better than almost any other ski in chop.
    -Great fuel economy (6-8mpg at cruising speed) this is huge at 80-100 bucks a tank.
    I can go almost 120 miles on a tank.
    -better handling than most skis
    -lighter than newer three seaters
    -looks as good as any new ski and it's getting rare.
    Last edited by K447; 06-28-2014 at 09:51 PM.

So what you're saying is it's worth keeping / saving and rebuilding and you're agreeing that it needs rebuild yea? If it's worth it I will man up and stop whining and do it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JN210 View Post
    So what you're saying is it's worth keeping / saving and rebuilding and you're agreeing that it needs rebuild yea? If it's worth it I will man up and stop whining and do it.
    The MSX hull has excellent ride characteristics. The upper deck has modern lines and still looks good next to brand new machines.

We just finished two different 90 mile rides a week apart. All the other machines in the groups were recent year SeaDoo, mostly supercharged, and a single Kawasaki 300 and Yamaha four stroke supercharged. The 250+ hp supercharged machines are of course faster top speed and accelerate harder. The MSX looked right at home tied alongside the others at the dock and running with the group on open water.

They also drank roughly twice the fuel as our MSX 140 (which has the 130 hp 2-stroke engine). The Weber turbo engine can provide similar fuel economy, with the upside of being able to produce circa 200 hp with the correct upgrades.

The Weber engine itself is the question mark. Some MSX owners have swapped in a Seadoo 4-Tec engine and the result works well. Happy owners with very fast machines. Same engine in a Seadoo hull runs noticeably slower than in the MSX hull.

+1
    To be fair though remember we are polaris fans so...... I am spending about 5k to rebuild my webber like a brick shit house. Running with the big boys with half there displacement will be fun I like the question I get a lot with the stock ski. Is that a two stroke 750? Haha wait till it's running 20 lbs of boost.

The best part is I can run flat out in really nasty conditions. On the delta I sometimes see 50+ mph winds that stack big chop up at really close intervals. Other skis I have riden beat you to death. This ski can go flat out at 55+ in this crap without your jewels needing ice later. Hehe

So what kind of potential does my 110 have? What modifications need to be done and how do you manage the increase in power? Like I just got done building my 300zx turbo and am using a tune system for that. What things need to be done to be sure I don't have any further issues? And is it cheaper to build the weber or swap in a different engine?

+1
    Sadly... low hours on a Weber engine ski... doesn't mean squat.

Do a compression test. Then do a leak-down test. A blown headgasket is immediately noticeable when you force 80-100psi of air pressure into your cylinders. It'll gurgle (assuming you still have coolant in the engine).

When the ski is idling... open the coolant jug. Do you see coolant pee'ing in from the small hose?

Are you getting any water/coolant in your oil? Is it foamy on the dipstick?

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information