Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris MSX 150 pair, both not running at proper speeds

Hi
    We have 2 2004 Polaris msx 150's. I just found out today that Valley Cycle here is Bakersfield Ca is not servicing them anymore. I don't suppose anyone knows where is Southern Ca we can take them? Also we are getting no power on both of them when we go full throttle. We are only hitting 30 mph. Is this something that my husband could fix? He is very handy just never fixed anything like this.

+1
    In short yes but he has a TON of reading to do on these skis before he does anything. Even the little things like checking the oil is not a normal procedure on these skis. They have several items that are normal issues.

He should read everything in the stickies on this site and look over the google informational pages online.

+1
    Welcome!
    As Hill mentioned... it's not too difficult to run some tests and try to diagnose them. Fixing them on the other hand... that *could* be the hard part... depending on what you uncover.

If your husband knows his way around an engine... knows how to do a compression test... then he should be fine.

So... if your going to test them both and start describing them to us... you need to describe each one separately. So call one #1 and the other #2... or red one and blue one... just so we know which one we're talking about . It's nice to have a pair... so you can swap parts back-and-forth to test issues.

What is the history on the skis? When did they last run? When did they last run properly?

Do both skis start normally? Both idle normally? Are you getting any "check engine" indicators on the display. Are you getting any other indicators on the display?

When your running them and only getting 30mph... what RPM is this at? This max RPM each can reach in the water, and then on the trailer... what are these numbers?

Best of luck to you.

Cheers!
    Last edited by K447; 06-28-2014 at 09:48 AM.

We ran them last summer, and I only remember one that when the throttle was all the way down it only hit 30 mpg. As far as the history, we bought them brand new in 2004, the last year Polaris sold jet skis. They start normally, no check engine. I can't remember about the idling, or RPM.

This is great! When my hubby is on long change "days off" I will get him on here and maybe we can get these babies running properly. Thanks for your help guys!! It is much appreciated!

+1
    Very cool... original owners. I'd be curious what issues you've ever had to address over the years with them... and how many hours they have on them.

Sadly, the MSX 150 was Polaris' big finale... and they never got follow-on years to work out the new model bugs. There are a number of all-too-common issues with these Weber engined skis. But they can all be fixed with enough money and time. Finding a good mechanic will be hard. You'll be better off trying to do the majority of the work/diagnosis yourself... then if need be... you could say pull the engine and have it taken to a machine shop to fix it after you've bought the parts... that sorta thing.

Here's a valuable link to start learning. Plus all the MSX 150 threads here in the Polaris-MSX/Matrix section.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....10-and-msx-150

First thing to do... is pull the hoses/pipe from turbo to the intercooler... and intercooler to the intake manifold. Check for excess oil/gunk in there.

Next, gotta do a compression test. Both spark plugs out... cranking with throttle pegged. This reading will answer a couple big possible problem questions.

Any oil slick in the coolant jug?

Is the oil on the dipstick got foam/milky in it?

These are good things to check first. Let us know what you find and we'll recommend/advise further.

Cheers!

After the 4th he is going to start on them. Are there any special tools we will need to get? So far when he does the yearly service we have not needed any. Again thank you so much. I have them up for sale but if he can fix the power problem we may just hang on to them a little longer. In 10 years this is the first problem we have had. They have been great!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by a4t9rgrl View Post
    ... In 10 years this is the first problem we have had. They have been great!
    Impressive!

+1
    Nice to hear the MSX 150s have performed well for so long.

You won't need any special (Polaris-only) tools to start diagnosing and checking out things. You will need a standard compression tester.

Start with the recommended list of things to check above... and we'll help get you along to hopefully figuring out your issues.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information