2000 Virage Tx starting issues

I have been lurking on this site for some time and wanted to say how grateful I am for the information put out there related to polaris pwc's. I acquired a virage tx (2000) and after rebuilding the carbs and fuel lines as well as replacing the thru hull bearings and drive shaft, have been pretty happy with it. My wife however not so much, I admit it has been one expense after another.

My question is related to the starter. When I first got the ski, we had to tap the starter and jump the solenoid to get it to turn over. It started pretty reliably for a few outings and now when we go to start it, it is as though the starter is trying to turn the engine over then loses its grip on the fly wheel and makes a slight whizzing sound instead. Could that be related to the solenoid (original) or would you say it is more the starter itself? Hoping to address this as cheaply as possible while still being effective. If I have to replace the starter can I just take off the exhaust or do I have to take the whole engine out.

I am really hoping that this is just a solenoid replacement as that seems pretty strait forward, what do you think?
    And I read somewhere that a modern sea doo solenoid will work as a replacement, is that true?

Thanks for all of your help, I have certainly benefited so far

Ivan

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If it still has the original solenoid, replace it. These can fail at any time and burn out the starter motor when the solenoid seizes in the 'crank the engine forever' position.

Original external solenoids are black plastic with a metal backing plate. The new improved solenoids are 100% black plastic with no metal plate.

You can use a hand tool to short together the two heavy posts on the solenoid. This will force full battery power to the starter motor. If a high pitched whirring sound is heard but the engine does not crank then it is likely that the Bendix gear inside the flywheel housing has seized.

Note that there will be sparks when you short those two metal posts. Use a firm hand so the metal to metal contact is solid, this will minimize the sparking. Also do not allow the tool to touch any other metal parts, just those two solenoid studs.

Some guys use a pair of heavy pliers, some use a heavy flat screw driver. Use an inexpensive tool

Ok, it sounds like it is cranking at first for a split second then goes to the whirring sound. Would jumping the solenoid posts help loosen that up or are we thinking the starter/bendix needs replacing? If so what does that entail? remove the engine to get to it or just the exhaust?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van View Post
    Ok, it sounds like it is cranking at first for a split second then goes to the whirring sound. Would jumping the solenoid posts help loosen that up or are we thinking the starter/bendix needs replacing? If so what does that entail? remove the engine to get to it or just the exhaust?
    Jumping the solenoid might tell you whether the solenoid itself is causing the no-crank with whirring sound.

If jumping the solenoid does not allow engine to properly crank, yet starter motor is spinning fast, then Bendix gear is probably bad.

A bad Bendix usually means replacement. Or at least removal and re-lubrication/derusting. Which requires removing the flywheel cover and flywheel. This can be done with engine in the hull but is much easier when engine is out of the hull.

Update!!!!
    I got my new solenoid in the mail and realized that although the one I ordered was brown the one I got was black with metal backing on it (gen 1) installed it none the less to try to get to the bottom of this and found that the whirring sound was still there instead of a cranking. As a thought, I took my longest ratchet and tapped on the starter motor body and hit start, turned right over, no problem. Now when I let go of the start button it continued to crank. I just created a solenoid problem!!!!. pulled the power and put it back on and cranks now with no issues and the starter motor stops by itself when I let go of the start/stop button.....Im thinking I should still replace that solenoid with a newer model one just to be safe, or at least put a manual kill switch on the battery. What is the consensus with the starter freeing up after tapping it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van View Post
    Update!!!!
    I got my new solenoid in the mail and realized that although the one I ordered was brown the one I got was black with metal backing on it (gen 1) installed it none the less to try to get to the bottom of this and found that the whirring sound was still there instead of a cranking. As a thought, I took my longest ratchet and tapped on the starter motor body and hit start, turned right over, no problem. Now when I let go of the start button it continued to crank. I just created a solenoid problem!!!!. pulled the power and put it back on and cranks now with no issues and the starter motor stops by itself when I let go of the start/stop button.....Im thinking I should still replace that solenoid with a newer model one just to be safe, or at least put a manual kill switch on the battery. What is the consensus with the starter freeing up after tapping it?
    Hmmm, who is selling original version solenoids in 2014? Are you sure this solenoid is actually brand new, not removed from an old watercraft?

The continuing to crank episode after you released the Start button is worrisome. If that happens when you are on the water it can damage stuff in a hurry, especially if you don't know it is happening. Engine starts, you go riding, engine noise overrides that the starter is still cranking. Starter motor/Bendix are damaged. Battery can also be burned out this way.

If the solenoid you just installed is indeed brand new, just really old stock, then it is possible the Start button itself is internally sticking in the Start position, telling the solenoid to stay energized.

Either way, you need to ensure the start solenoid is going to be reliable, both when you press the Start button and when you release the button!

Tapping on the starter motor is a short term fix, typically. If the Bendix gear is dying then it needs to be replaced or at least inspected/greased.

The same modern solenoid is also used on some newer Seadoo models so a Seadoo dealer should have the correct solenoid available. The BRP part number is listed via my signature links, I think.

Thread Information