Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USA trip to the Caribbean, Venezuela, Haiti, Panama, Mexico..

This idea popped into my head a few days ago after a little bit of research and thought had to post this on the forums...

=

Leave from Miami...

Bahamas

Turks and Caicos

Haiti

Jamaica

Dominican Republic

Puerto Rico

British Virgin Islands

make the way all the way down to Trinidad and Tobago...

Venezuela

Colombia

Panama

Costa Rico

Nicaragua

Honduras

Guatemala

Belize

Mexico up to Cancun

Cuba

... and hit Key West and the Dry Tortugas on the way back to Miami

=

Quite a few people have done the Miami to Bimini run, along with some that have traveled pretty far south in the Bahamas so this would just be a very large extension of that type trip...

=

I would like to stop at ALL of the mid to large sized towns exploring the land, the culture, the people, food ETC.

Was thinking a mix of couch-surfing, cheap hotels, maybe camping on various islands along the way.

Packing safe but light with all of the necessary safety gear including extra gas.

=

After the concern of safety and blue water travel here are a few initial thoughts of concern...

Hours and reliability to make this trip even possible?

=

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caribnew.gif 
Views:	56 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	334197  

+1
    A couple of pontoons behind with all gear split evenly so there is a redundancy just in case.
    VHF marine radio or two.
    plenty of food and water just in case
    A couple of survival rafts
    A group of equally crazy friends
    Dog Tags lol

3. +1 by:

Better bring some good guns.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Probably do able but boy a lot of risks and cost.

You'd for sure have to have some serious boat support and I'm not talking about someone's 20 Ft runabout. I'd have multiple boats also.

My body just hurts thinking about that trip.

My initial thought was buying a brand new SeaDoo Spark for gas efficiency and yes it does have a small fuel tank so I would be bringing extra with and there are plenty of marinas with gas to fill up along the way.

I would load up on fuel, food, and water. Which should all be pretty accessible through most of the trip at most of every island.

I was thinking no boat support but probably wouldn't do it alone and yes GPS and VHF radio would be on hand.

My first thought is reliability of the ski and not being able to cleat out the salt for months at a time? How many salt water hours could a ski handle on a trip like this?

+1
    IMO there's no way you get through all that ocean chop with that small ski. You would be much better off with a Kawasaki Ultra or one of the longer Seadoo 3 seaters offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Paper View Post
    My initial thought was buying a brand new SeaDoo Spark for gas efficiency and yes it does have a small fuel tank so I would be bringing extra with and there are plenty of marinas with gas to fill up along the way.

I would load up on fuel, food, and water. Which should all be pretty accessible through most of the trip at most of every island.

I was thinking no boat support but probably wouldn't do it alone and yes GPS and VHF radio would be on hand.

My first thought is reliability of the ski and not being able to cleat out the salt for months at a time? How many salt water hours could a ski handle on a trip like this?

9. +1 by:

+1
    going to cancun would be the problem, there is no place to stop on the way back to miami besides cuba. i've been there twice, but it was gitmo. i wouldn't dare go to the non-military base portion. makes me shiver. asking for trouble

+1
    Sounds like a great adventure! I've fantasized about similar. However, I would avoid Cuba since it's illegal for Americans to go there.

I was kind of maybe thinking the same thing about the smaller Spark but I did see a guy on YouTube who did the Miami to Bimini run.

And from what I have read its pretty common for Americans to go to Cuba by air from like Mexico but directly to or from is where I believe you have the problem.

+1
    Spark great for MPG but your going to suffer on every other point. Spark isn't made for anything like this crazy trip.

Kaw. Ultra non-supercharge would be one of the best machines for this ride. Gas mileage will be adequate and it holds 20 gallons of gas. Ultra hull shines in the ocean.

I think I'd try to find a few marinas with a repair shop along the way and let them pull the jet ski out of the water and give it a good once over and flush the system. I don't ride salt water but enough people on the forums do. Maybe they can give you an ideal of how the salt water will react over the course of the trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information