2001 xl800 pump removal

Hi all,

Hope you can help me out. Last season I was getting severe cavitation and lower top end speed. I researched the Internet for same problem and after looking at forum chatter I've come to the conclusion that I need to replace the impeller and upgrade the ride plate while I'm at it. Well, I'm having difficulty in getting the pump out. I've removed the cables and the 4 long bolts which connects the nozzle to the pump housing. I tried prying but could not get the shaft to pop out of the hull. I use the ski in salt water so there's a fair amount of galvanic corrosion but I don't believe that is my problem. I decided to remove the 4 short bolts which holds the pump housing to the transom/hull. Again, using pry bars on the spots designated, I can separate apart parts of the housing (where they're supposed to split) but the shaft remains belligerent and pulls back in when you let up. Everything I've read states that the pump removal should be simply accomplished by removing 4 long bolts and prying. Is there something different with the 2001 Yamaha models or a specialty tool? I've used copious amounts of penetrating oil in hopes that would offset any adhession due to corrosion. No joy!

I'm open to any suggestion.

Thanks!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to GH!

more penetrant is needed for starters. find a small handheld blowtorch, you may have to heat the bolts a bait to speed up the process.

A ventilated area. Trust me you don't want to do a balky pump extraction in your attached garage.

The Yamaha driveline experts will be around to provide some advice on how to proceed.

I've dealt with some tough yamahas, but the have always eventually come loose.using the prybar method.

Getting the prop off the driveshaft is going to require a special wrench and a helluva good bench vise.

could be a problem on a first removal on a saltwater ski.

Wheaties suggested for breakfast

Thanks, that's what I figured. I did finally get it busted loose and now have to determine what type of impeller, intake, seal kit, etc. Do you have any suggestions on upgrades for a stock xl800. The next task is to remove the impeller from the shaft.

NMPETER I appreciate your help. What determines a worn ring? I read that if there is a gap that allows for a business card to fit between, then the wear ring/housing needs to be replaced. Does that sound accurate? Also, I would love to hear any suggestions on type and pitch impeller.

Thanks!

solas 11/14

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by namehere1970 View Post
    NMPETER I appreciate your help. What determines a worn ring? I read that if there is a gap that allows for a business card to fit between, then the wear ring/housing needs to be replaced. Does that sound accurate? Also, I would love to hear any suggestions on type and pitch impeller.

Thanks!
    the business card will work..there is an accurate measurement for impeller to ring clearance in the service manual

as far as a "better" impeller..do you want more top end or more out of the hole (that helps a bit pulling water skis)

that will guide the experts on that matter to a "better" prop then the stock one.

don't forget to obtain the correct tool to remove the prop, it doesn't work out well if you don't have it on hand and try to make do.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the response. I am looking for a little more of both but if I have to make a choice, I would say top end since I'm OK pulling a tube, etc. I definitely will be ordering the right tool or taking it to a shop to swap it for me. Let me know your thoughts.

Much appreciated.

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. Is this what you have and how do you like it?

Thanks

Thread Information