Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polaris 2003 Virage i 800 Stupid question...

Hi all,
    I have an 03 virage i 800. It won't start. I know this is in a million threads and I've been trying to understand them.

I'm trying to test things like coil, CDI?, stator. But first what I know is a really stupid question, where is this electrical box?? Also the LR505 module? Where are these things?

Battery is good....

Sorry for such a newbie question but I can't find anyone to work on it and I'm a Jeep guy.

If anyone is in the Dubuque IA area that would want to work on it please message me.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by K447; 06-29-2014 at 07:11 PM.

OK I think I found it. Mounted above the gas tank?
    Also noticed that my battery is at 10.4 when cranking and if I've read correctly the CDI needs 10.6 to fire, or it just wont. Is that correct?
    Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadrobb4 View Post
    ... my battery is at 10.4 when cranking and if I've read correctly the CDI needs 10.6 to fire, or it just wont. Is that correct?
    Correct.

Banned User
    +1
    The DI will fire with less than 10.6. That being said, a battery providing over 10.6 will be good and reliable. If you are getting 10.4 it should spark. I think your issue runs deeper than the battery

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The DI will fire with less than 10.6. ...
    Hang on, are we talking about a fuel injected or a carburetor engine?

Previous post was talking about a CDI and LR-505, both of which are only on carb engines.

Banned User
    +1
    He said Virage i 800. The carbed motors were 700s

Yes its DI..... I charged the battery and was getting over 10.6 with no spark. No voltage at the coil either. So it does not have a CDI? I've read its the LR503 on this one. I suspect the stator. Going to see if I can just find someone to diagnose it before I tear into it. But if it comes to that, work my way through the ignition system one piece at a time until I find it. Complicated little system on this thing. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

And K447.. thanks for the information page. Very helpful.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadrobb4 View Post
    Yes its DI..... I charged the battery and was getting over 10.6 with no spark. No voltage at the coil either.

So it does not have a CDI? I've read its the LR503 on this one.

I suspect the stator. Going to see if I can just find someone to diagnose it before I tear into it. But if it comes to that, work my way through the ignition system one piece at a time until I find it. Complicated little system on this thing. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    Ficht engines use an EMM engine module instead of a CDI module. Large heavy rectangular sealed unit with a large 40-pin connector in one end and two Deutsch connectors in the other, plus two water cooling hoses.

The Ficht engines use LR-503 Start/Stop modules (LR-502 for 1999 only).

Diagnostics are quite different for Ficht engines. The EMM controls everything, not just ignition.

For a no-spark condition, check the voltage on White/Red wires. Leave all injectors plugged in. Red meter probe to White/Red wire wherever you can tap in. Black meter probe to engine ground. Lanyard in place. Voltage should rapidly rise to over 20 volts when engine is cranking, then jump again to near 45 volts when engine starts.

If voltage on White/Red is way below 20 volts while cranking then the EMM likely needs repair.

It is possible that the stator or flywheel magnets have gone bad, so you can check those before sending the EMM out for repair. You can do an ohm check for the stator coils and remove the CPS sensor to visually inspect the flywheel area for metal or magnet debris. A full inspection requires removing the flywheel, which is work.

In the majority of cases the EMM itself is the problem, not the stator or flywheel.

IF the voltage on White/Red is nicely above 20 volts when cranking, but no spark, then check the display. Lanyard in place, let the machine sit for more than five minutes. The MFI display will go to sleep, showing the clock and the message Unlocked. Do not touch any display buttons.

Now press and hold the Start button for a few seconds, cranking the engine. Watch the MFI display. What you want to see is the display 'wake up', swing the speedometer needle full sweep, LCD self test and welcome message (Please Ride Responsibly).

If the display wakes up, this means the EMM also woke up when the engine began cranking. This is good.

If the display does NOT wake up automatically when you crank the engine, then the EMM is not powering itself up properly.

Do these tests and report back.

Red/white wire, red probe, over 20 volts when cranking. The EMM is NOT changing from the unlocked/clock display at any time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information