Thread: XP Revving

XP Revving

XP Revving?
    My friend has a 2001 XP, which he tried to run for the first time in months, today. The throttle cable was siezed, but I got that free, then went to start the motor, and it revved up to full revs, and wouldn't come down! I disconnected the cable at the motor end, and the cable wheel was free to turn by hand, but the motor did the same thing when I started it with the throttle closed, and when I turned it open by hand it had no effect! Is there something that could have siezed/stuck further into the fuel system that I could get to (beyond the motor-end cable connection). Hope you can suggest something, as it's holidays next weekend, and the local ski shop will be pulled out with work! I'd rather do it for him anyway, but I'm a Yamaha man, and haven't worked on these motors yet! Thank's.

+1
    Yamaha and seadoos = same thing. Only difference is 3 cylinders versus 2 cylinder. Probably has something to do with fuel delivery. I'd check the fuel filter, lines, fuel selector switch and then go down to the carbs and probably needs a rebuild.
    SHOOTER

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You lean-revved and glow-plugged the engine. All you had to do was pull the choke and the engine would have died. 951's are notorious for this happening, because they jet the pilots too lean to meet emmissions. The accelerator pump makes up for the lean condition to get proper throttle response, but starting it out of the water there is no accelerator pump to richen the mixture, until you pull the throttle. If the ski sat long enough for the throttle cable to seize then the carb filters inside the carbs are probably clogged.

You need to pull the carbs and disassemble them and clean with carb cleaner. Especially the accelerator pump section, the orifices are small and I doubt is even working. The engine will fall on it's face in the water when you first pull the throttle if they are clogged.

Happy wrenching...

Thank's guys! I'll get on it tomorrow eve, and have him up and running (hopefully) for the holiday. We've even got a good forecast for the weekend....WOW! Thank's for your input, I really appreciate it.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Let us know how she runs when you get her done!

+1
    Ha, I know all about Glow Plugs don't I RQ? Remember Norris with the 95xp800? Hahahahhaha. If you don't have a choke and only a primer, prime the **** out of it. If you don't have either, throw your shirt over the carbs.
    But I have seen a fuel selector switch mess up before thats why I mentioned to check and clean that out as well.
    SHOOTER

Thread Information