Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Stuck on an island, water in cylinders and cant turn it over.

2007 seadoo GTI

a little background. Went to start it up this spring and I just heard a click on the solenoid. Battery is good and solenoid is good, I just replaced it last fall. Jumped the solenoid to get it started and nothing. The engine doesn’t turn and I do not hear anything. Just sparking from the solenoid connections and screwdriver I jumped it with.

So I decided to tow it up to the cottage by boat (water access cottage) Big mistake, the cylinders are now full of water from towing it in I assume.

Now I cant turn the engine over to get the water out!

I have tried to jump the start from just connecting the starter to the battery and nothing. Just a bit of smoke at the connection on the starter. ( I of course stopped when I saw the smoke, smoke was from the connection on the jumper cables not in the starter.)

I am now stuck with a jetski with water in it on an island……. J

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Battery. May be charged, may show 12v, but you can bet your bottom dollar that's what it is. You'll spend a lot of time thinking it's other things, as a last resort you'll try a new battery and wonder why you waited!

Now where do you get a battery on an island????

More importantly, how you gonna do the rest even if you empty the cylinders? You need several oil changes, filters and then a boil off.

You do know to remove spark plugs before you attempt to turn it over, yes? Also turn over in drown mode or you'll just add to your problems.

+1
    Ok. Real quick. You do have the plugs out right? May be seized. Pull the starter And see if it will spin in air.

And just to throw a wrench. When it would not turn over originally did you check at that point for water in the cylinder? Because a hydrolock would act as you describe. Your assuming the tow put the water in there.

Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Battery. May be charged, may show 12v, but you can bet your bottom dollar that's what it is. You'll spend a lot of time thinking it's other things, as a last resort you'll try a new battery and wonder why you wait. ed!

Tried to jump it off of another 12v i know is good and also put in someone elses seadoo battery, Still nothing

Now where do you get a battery on an island????

More importantly, how you gonna do the rest even if you empty the cylinders? You need several oil changes, filters and then a boil off.

I can get off the island with a boat.

You do know to remove spark plugs before you attempt to turn it over, yes? Also turn over in drown mode or you'll just add to your problems.
    es

Yes plugs are out but its not even attempting to turn over, it just clicks and thats it.

Sorry can you explain "Also turn over in drown mode or you'll just add to your problems"

Answers above

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound007 View Post
    Ok. Real quick. You do have the plugs out right? May be seized. Pull the starter And see if it will spin in air.

And just to throw a wrench. When it would not turn over originally did you check at that point for water in the cylinder? Because a hydrolock would act as you describe. Your assuming the tow put the water in there.
    in it originally

No unfortunatly I did not check if there was water in it. You are right I was just assuming, maybe it was from before some how?

Might not be the easiest to just pull the starter on this ski, looks like a big job

How can I check if its seized, If it is am I screwed?

You might try pulling the valve cover off and spinning the camshaft gear with the spark plugs out of the machine. That way at least you'll know whether the motor is locked up or not.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	325.4 KB 
ID:	334250

Stuck on an island.......

Sounds familiar !!

[/QUOTE]

Sorry can you explain "Also turn over in drown mode or you'll just add to your problems"

Answers above [/QUOTE]

Drown mode is when you first hold the finger / thumb throttle lever completely in, as if riding at maximum speed WOT. THEN and only then do you press the start button whilst keeping the throttle fully pressed.

This sends the ski into 'drown mode'. It shuts off the fuel injector supply and stops the coils packs from firing and trying to create a spark, it mearly turns the engine over using the starter motor.

This will allow you to control when you want to try and start the engine. For instance,when changing the oil you want to turn the engine over to get as much oil out of the engine as possible. If when turning over the engine, without using the drowning mode, it would fire up and destroy the oil less engine.

In your case, you don't want any fuel or sparks from the coils. You need just the mechanical turn over of the engine to drive out the water from the cylinders, through the spark plus holes.

Assuming that the engine wasn't already hydrolocked when it was last running or being turned over, you may have escaped serious damage. However, every hour you leave water, especially sea water, in the engine internals the likelyhood of corrosion and pitting damage increases dramatically. Getting that water out damn quick is the priority, otherwise it's likely to write off your ski economically. (Unless the ski is fairly new, then it just costs you a shit load to get it repaired).

Once you have got the water out, drain the oil and change filter (very important to change the filter as the water contaminated one will have swollen, will restrict oil flow and starve the engine of oil, killing the engine).

Run the ski on the water the first time for 15 mins and then change oil and filter again. Keep doing this until the oil looks clear without any cloudy contamination from the water. (After the first new filter change, you don't need to replace the filter until the oil runs clear, then set in a new one for good).

The final process is to boil off the final drops of water from the engine. It is quite a detailed process, but in essence you allow the engine and oil to rise above the boiling point of water, allow the steam to vent off to atmosphere, thus finalising the process.

If you're lucky, you'll get out of this one quite cheaply. If you've hydrolocked and bent the con rods or worse, it's fffff expensive.

Your problems probably started with a poor battery. The water in the engine must have come from towing as you've had it in storage for so long (if the water has been there so long you've screwed your engine anyway).

Right now, by any means possible, you have to get that water out of those cylinders. WIthout power the easiest way is to remove the supercharger intake hose (the one in the middle of the SC), take out the spark plugs and turn the big nut in the centre of the turbine blade in the Sc anticlockwise. This will turn over the engine and force the cylinders to rise and fall evacuating the water. Leave the seat off to air. If possible spray any kind of oil based lubricant into each cylinder, even use engine oil if necessary, just to coat the internals until you can get to a workshop to do the rest.

Good luck.

Just seen you're on an 07 GTI, no supercharger. So you have to open up the valve cover and crank from there. The clock is ticking, without enough tools, you're probably gonna lose an 07 ski unless you can buy parts and work on it for free. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Just seen you're on an 07 GTI, no supercharger. So you have to open up the valve cover and crank from there. The clock is ticking, without enough tools, you're probably gonna lose an 07 ski unless you can buy parts and work on it for free. Sorry.
    Thanks so much guys,

got the valve cover off but am having trouble turning the gear, how am I supposed to turn this? Seems quite hard to turn, I guess because it's full of water but the plugs are out. Pics attached

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information