1996 Hurricane need help

Hi I'm having a problem getting this machine to run properly. Motor and carbs have been rebuilt, it runs but seems to only run on one cyl, sometimes PTO and other times MAG it does not have the up dated ignition system. I checked the coil and stator the only test that did not not check out ok,was when I checked the resistance from the stator black wire to brown wire. It had 2200 ohm the manual said it should be open. I think it needs the ignition system up date and I just wanted to make sure before I order one thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

You can mess around with further diagnostics on that original ignition, but realistically the reliable option is to install the ignition update kit.

Thanks K447 I already did all diagnostic test in the manual and the ones that you have posted under tech tips. No point in wasting time with the old ignition then. Would it be best to try and find a Polaris update kit or would the SBT one be OK.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ramtime View Post
    Thanks K447 I already did all diagnostic test in the manual and the ones that you have posted under tech tips. No point in wasting time with the old ignition then. Would it be best to try and find a Polaris update kit or would the SBT one be OK.
    SBT sells the same CDI plus stator product from the same Polaris OEM supplier, a company called PVL.

SBT only sells specific variations of the Gen III CDI + stator kit, so read the descriptions carefully.

The differences are primarily in the grommet type on the stator cable where it passes out of the flywheel housing and the ignition timing curve programmed into the CDI.

I just ordered the ignition update kit from SBT should be here in 3 to 5 days. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again K447 I appreciate the advice

I got my ignition up date kit form SBT installed and timing rest. Ran it on the garden hose what a difference in starting it fires up wright away now and sounds good. Going to test it this weekend or maybe after work one night this week.

This site has been so helpful with all the information on here and thanks to K447 links I was able to download the service manual

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Sweet!

I had the Hurricane out in lake Ontario yesterday and it ran good. This machine corners like its on rails my top speed was 47 MPH going to test it in calm water next weekend and see what it does. Overall I'm really happy with this machine.

Thread Information