Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

possible water in oil

I was wondering what would happen after a tiny bit of water went down the funnel as I was topping up the oil on my msx 140. The oil was topped up when it happened. I was lifting the front storage bin after my ride and a bit of water dripped off right into the tank. Any input for what I can do? Suggestions? It wasn't a large amount of water, as I said a bit dripped off. Thanks. Mike.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Oil floats on water, so I imagine the water is working its way to the bottom of the oil tank and then down the oil feed line.

If you want to be sure, you would have to drain the oil tank. Kinda messy job, but doable. At least drain it enough to be sure you got the water out.

An alternative is to get a pump vacuum oil extractor. These are commonly used to suck the oil out of boat engines and many 4-stroke watercraft guys also use them now. If you buy a nice one, I might buy it from you afterwards.

I won't ask why the oil cap would not be in place before you started lifting the storage bucket out...

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp
    Last edited by K447; 06-29-2014 at 10:45 PM.

+1
    I got the ski back home to my garage and had wiped it down with a towel, thoroughly I thought, in and around the bucket. As I was filling the oil I stopped, took the bucket out just to see how much was in the oil tank and a few drops went into the funnel. Rookie mistake I am assuming, I guess i shouldnt run it tomorrow as I was planning on... Dang... where would I start to empty the oil?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalts72 View Post
    I got the ski back home to my garage and had wiped it down with a towel, thoroughly I thought, in and around the bucket. As I was filling the oil I stopped, took the bucket out just to see how much was in the oil tank and a few drops went into the funnel. Rookie mistake I am assuming, I guess i shouldnt run it tomorrow as I was planning on... Dang... where would I start to empty the oil?
    I remove the front storage bucket first, then uncap the oil filler.

I also crank up the trailer jack as high as it will go so there is no air bubble trapped at the rear end of the oil tank.

Few drops of water? Hmm, hard to say how much water is too much

If you decide to drain the oil tank you will need to raise the front to ensure the water actually runs underneath the oil to the lowest point in the oil tank.

If you remove the oil hose from the oil pump (clamp it flat before you do this) then you can move it to a container. A full Polaris MSX 140 oil tank holds over 5 litres so you may need to empty the tank in stages.

The only catch is that the water and oil will be flowing through the oil filter. I don't think the filter would be affected by the water, but I also don't know if the filter will trap some of the water.

It is going to be messy so lay some old cotton towels down in the hull before you start.

+1
    I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do since it was only a tiny amount, a few drops at most. But I do know that it could completely ruin the pistons. How much oil is squirted into the motor with fuel?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalts72 View Post
    ... How much oil is squirted into the motor with fuel?
    At wide open throttle oil is pumped in at roughly one fortieth the rate that the engine is burning fuel.

At idle the oil ratio is even slower, maybe one one hundredth the rate of fuel burn.

What you could do is remove the oil link cable from the throttle shaft. If you pull on the oil cable you can get enough slack to slide the cable end out of the keyhole opening.

With the oil pump cable disconnected from the throttle the oil pump arm will swing down to a fail safe position where the oil pump runs at 100% flow all the time. This effectively over oils the engine.

Now go riding at slow to moderate speeds, maybe up to 3000 RPM (just a guess on my part). The oil pump will be running wide open, so when the water drops come through there will already be excess oil inside the engine, so no harm done. The water will evaporate as it goes through the hot engine.

The excess oil will result in more exhaust smoke, of course.

After enough riding that you are confident the water has moved through, stop the engine and reconnect the oil cable. Make sure you swing the oil pump arm up and to the left, just as it was before you took the cable off.

Work the throttle (engine off) to confirm the oil cable is working correctly. Done.

Banned User
    +1
    If it was only a few drops of water I wouldnt worry about it.

+1
    I just need to do some research and find out where those parts are located. I just haven't looked at it yet. Been a bit busy today. Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    If it was only a few drops of water I wouldnt worry about it.
    Would it be possible to put a small amount of oil straight into the piston (or where it gets injected to)... or perhaps add oil to the gas so that it runs with at least some oil for when the water goes through?

Thoughts?

Banned User
    +1
    That small amount of water if its really only a few drops should not hurt anything. There is oil already in the motor while running and that water will go right through the motor when it gets there. It will probably be somewhat mixed with the oil. As long as it was only a few drops that went in the tank. If it were a few spoonfuls I might be a little more concerned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information