New 95 750 SLT Owner Needs Help

Hello,
    I'm a newbie. I recently purchased a cabin and it came with a 1995 Polaris 750 slt. It was not taken care of very well by the previous owner. They told me all it needed was a battery. I did that and changed the spark plugs, put new fuel and oil in as well. I was able to get it started. It seemed to run well for awhile until I noticed tubes with a screened end on them melted to the exhaust. Now it will not stay running very long and will not go very fast. Can anyone tell me where I can find these hoses and where are they supposed to go, and is this why it is not running well or has major damage been done? I would appreciate anyone's input on this as I am not familiar with these machines. If someone could also tell me general maintenance on them would be great too. Thanks!

+1
    Weldome to the Hulk!!

If the tubes with screened ends are clear, or could have been clear at one time, they are bilge siphon hoses. Melting these will not cause the ski to run poorly. However, the fact that the exhaust was hot enough to melt them, is of concern. You will want to perform a compression test to see what condition your cylinders are in.

Fuel system update and maintenance including carb rebuilds are practically mandatory for this age of ski.

Lots of good info here: Http://PolarisPWCknowledge.shorturl.com

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

See my signature links for a place to get started learning about these machines.

The exhaust overheated, which means there was not enough or no cooling water being injected in to the exhaust flow. Why was there no water injection?

Could have been a general lack of cooling water to the entire engine (which would not be good). Or just a blocked water orifice in the exhaust pipe.

Certainly start with a cylinder compression check. All spark plugs out, throttle help wide open. Check each cylinder twice to verify the readings are consistent. Battery must be strong, of course.

Inspect the large rubber exhaust hoses. If there are area that are mushy or appear to have been cooked, remove the hoses and inspect inside. An overheated rubber exhaust hose can delaminate and partially block the exhaust flow.

Thanks for your reply. I took off the exhaust hoses & they were very mushy and look like they were very restricted. I replaced them with factory parts. I also checked all cooling system hoses for any blockages & they all seemed good. I was not able to do a compression test. Not sure what kind of gauge to use for that? I did start it & took it for a brief spin. It seemed to run much better & stay running & it also had more power. When I got back I put my hand on exhaust & it still felt like it was maybe too hot especially for the short ride that I took. How do I tell if water is actually cooling the engine? What kind of test can I do to let me know that water is actually flowing through to cool engine? The mfd is not working either so i do not get a warning that the engine is overheating. If there is anything else you can help me out with it would be greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I took off the exhaust hoses & they were very mushy and look like they were very restricted. I replaced them with factory parts. I also checked all cooling system hoses for any blockages & they all seemed good. I was not able to do a compression test. Not sure what kind of gauge to use for that? I did start it & took it for a brief spin. It seemed to run much better & stay running & it also had more power. When I got back I put my hand on exhaust & it still felt like it was maybe too hot especially for the short ride that I took. How do I tell if water is actually cooling the engine? What kind of test can I do to let me know that water is actually flowing through to cool engine? The mfd is not working either so i do not get a warning that the engine is overheating. If there is anything else you can help me out with it would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a single spray nozzle that injects water inside the exhaust to cool the gases before they get to the rubber sections. It is called the water injection orifice.

If the small orifice opening gets clogged with sand or whatever, the exhaust heat will cook everything downstream from the engine.

There is also a mesh filter on the other end of the small water hose. Both 6 and 7 in this diagram must be clean and unclogged, and the hose must be in good condition.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	334577

When the cooling system is operating properly, you should be able to put your hand on any part of the engine or exhaust, for at least a couple of seconds. It may be worthwhile opening the thermostat housing to make sure it is clean and the parts are not badly worn or damaged.

The MFD may just need a new fuse. Fuse is a 1/4 Amp size located inside the electrical box. Replace only with 1/4 Amp fuse, not a higher Amp rating.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    It may be worthwhile opening the thermostat housing to make sure it is clean and the parts are not badly worn or damaged.
    +1 - Definitely do this. I recently opened one up and the pop off valve was stuck shut from sand and scale and dried up "stuff". The thermostat needed a good cleaning too. The injection nozzle in the exhaust was completely clogged with sand.....

Thanks again. I did take off that thermostat housing and none of those internal parts were in there. The gasket was the only thing there. Is that possible? I will try to inspect the hose, mesh filter, and spray nozzle. Thanks so far you have been very helpful!

+1
    Some choose to remove the thermostat. After that, there is no reason to leave the pop off valve and spring in there.

I have good used parts to replace those if you are interested in restoring to the stock configuration. PM me if you are interested.

Thread Information