Finished and water tested my Polaris SLT750 Project..

Hey all,
    I finished my Polaris ski that had engine damage,
    I fully rebuilt it and then had its first try in the water at the weekend.. and all went well for the most part.. even on half throttle this thing glides along pretty quickly

I do have a couple of questions though.

1. In the water, on low rev's, tick over range the ski vibrates. as soon as you pull away its gone away and nice and smooth.
    I don't know why it did that, but I pulled the jet pump to check everything when I got home and the driveshaft is really solid in the PTO coupler... not sure if a related failure. wasn't able to pull it free yet.

2. My electrical MFD unit round type, originally had blown, and wrong fuse was in there, fried it totally.
    Replacement MFD's (I managed to find 2 more) both go dead when ive started/stopped the engine. I have seen revs etc working on the display.. the 250ma fuse blows. replacing the fuse brings the display back up.. it hasn't fried them yet. But don't know why this is happening. I have also fitted a brand new regulator.

Hope you clever guys can help with this old girl.. its a 1994 ski btw.

+1
    The vibration is normal. As long as it doesn't get worse with the RPM.

Hiya, Thanks for the info, It is only at the low rpm as i move off, almost tickover speed.. as i pick up the throttle to a slow cruise speed, maybe 1000-2000 rpm its smooth and no vibration. Only does it in the water as well, no vibration on the trailer.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark-UK View Post
    2. My electrical MFD unit round type, originally had blown, and wrong fuse was in there, fried it totally.
    Replacement MFD's (I managed to find 2 more) both go dead when ive started/stopped the engine. I have seen revs etc working on the display.. the 250ma fuse blows. replacing the fuse brings the display back up.. it hasn't fried them yet. But don't know why this is happening.

I have also fitted a brand new regulator.

.. its a 1994 ski btw.
    Leave the MFD fuse out until you validate the electrical system.

Measure the battery voltage when the engine is running. Charging system should be stable at around 14.5 volts as engine RPM varies. If high RPM produces excess voltage that is not correct.

Verify that every wire connection in the electrical box is correct, not just for the MFD wires but also for the grounds and LR module. And the stator Red/Purple and Yellow wires.

Check the ohms on the Black stator wire to engine ground. Disconnect the battery and the Black stator wire for this check.

It is unusual for the 1/4 Amp MFD fuse to blow repeatedly, especially with replacement displays.

At the MFD wire harness connector, verify the correct wire colors to the numbered pins. Also check the voltage right at the Red/Purple to Black wires at the connector. Also look for signs of corrosion or dried dielectric grease on the metal contacts, both sides of the connector.

Checked the ground reads zero ohms.. mag wires check out ok. Need to run and test voltages.
    I have fitted a new regulator and it had an extra orange wire which I left unused and isolated..
    I have now added connections to the now unused oil level wires.. so I can monitor voltages with ease when the ski is assembled.

My engine..

looked great when finally afloat

Thread Information