1994 SL650 in Phoenix, AZ - Getting it going...

Hey, everyone! Newbie here.

per the intro to this thread, here is some background info on myself and my ski:

Where u from? Phoenix, AZ
    what kind of ski? Polaris SL 650
    what year? 1994
    what kind of engine? Blue
    how many hours on the meter? Ha
    how long did it sit? 3+ years
    any new/modified parts on it? Triple outlet pump, new (to me) carburetor, fuel filter, battery, plugs, carb diaphragms, fuel lines.
    recent tune-ups or rebuild. In the process of finishing the rebuild.
    general history of the ski if you know. Sat for years, carb was full of water/rust.
    price? Next to nuthin.
    comes with trailer? Yes.
    live on water? No.
    did the ski run on saltwater or normal lake water? Lake
    compression numbers? Haven't tested, but has at least some!
    does it run? It idled for a few seconds last night, but nothing since.
    Pictures,videos? Coming soon...
    mechanical knowledge? I'm a plumber, electrician, and general tinkerer!

That said, after taking the whole dang thing apart, and putting it back together, I tried firing it up, but I only got it to idle for a few seconds before I hit the kill switch (I didn't have water hooked up to it at the time). Once I hooked up the hose, I tried to start it again, but I haven't gotten it to fire since. I see the fuel in the new clear hoses from the carb to the pump moving towards the carb slowly when cranking, but I'm not sure it's making its way there fully.

Some bits of info:

There was oil in the pulse line that I think I drained all the way (I put a lot in when putting the motor back together).

there was a LOT of smoke being produced when I was first trying to get it running, but not very much anymore.

The plugs do have spark.

The battery is new and fully charged.

The fuel lines are new and free of obstruction. (Not the lines inside the tank, though. Those looked ok)

i have the water separator bypassed for now.

The carb is new (to me), but I haven't tinkered with it at all besides replacing the diaphragms.

Does anyone have some pointers/tips for me? Any help,would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance, Mike.
    Last edited by K447; 06-30-2014 at 08:31 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdefrates View Post
    Hey, everyone! Newbie here.

per the intro to this thread, here is some background info on myself and my ski:

Where u from? Phoenix, AZ
    what kind of ski? Polaris SL 650
    what year? 1994
    what kind of engine? Blue
    how many hours on the meter? Ha
    how long did it sit? 3+ years
    any new/modified parts on it? Triple outlet pump, new (to me) carburetor, fuel filter, battery, plugs, carb diaphragms, fuel lines.
    recent tune-ups or rebuild. In the process of finishing the rebuild.
    general history of the ski if you know. Sat for years, carb was full of water/rust.
    price? Next to nuthin.
    comes with trailer? Yes.
    live on water? No.
    did the ski run on saltwater or normal lake water? Lake
    compression numbers? Haven't tested, but has at least some!
    does it run? It idled for a few seconds last night, but nothing since.
    Pictures,videos? Coming soon...
    mechanical knowledge? I'm a plumber, electrician, and general tinkerer!

That said, after taking the whole dang thing apart, and putting it back together, I tried firing it up, but I only got it to idle for a few seconds before I hit the kill switch (I didn't have water hooked up to it at the time). Once I hooked up the hose, I tried to start it again, but I haven't gotten it to fire since. I see the fuel in the new clear hoses from the carb to the pump moving towards the carb slowly when cranking, but I'm not sure it's making its way there fully.

Some bits of info:

There was oil in the pulse line that I think I drained all the way (I put a lot in when putting the motor back together).

there was a LOT of smoke being produced when I was first trying to get it running, but not very much anymore.

The plugs do have spark.

The battery is new and fully charged.

The fuel lines are new and free of obstruction. (Not the lines inside the tank, though. Those looked ok)

i have the water separator bypassed for now.

The carb is new (to me), but I haven't tinkered with it at all besides replacing the diaphragms.

Does anyone have some pointers/tips for me? Any help,would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance, Mike.
    Welcome to the Hulk!! Check out here for a ton of pointers and tips...

+1
    You may have lots of fluid against the diaphrams from the pulse line being full of fluid(oil and gas or oil or water or combo of all 3 .that side of the diaphram has to be free of liquid, or else the carb cant push fuel. the pulse coming from the case is air that pushes against the diaphrams to make the fuel move on the other side. Unscrew each backing plate on the diaphram covers and see if liquid pours out of any of them.

You can also take off the pulse line from the.case and tip the ski on its side and see if any more liquid comes out of the case. Keep the pulse line under a foot long.

+1
    To clarify, on the 650, the pulse line is connected to the fuel pump. The positive/negative pressure cycles that the bottom end of the crankcase undergo during rotation translate into a push/pull motion on the fuel pump diaphragm. The internal check valves in the fuel pump prevent the movement of fuel back to the tank and only allow it to move forward towards the carbs. Your pulse line is not connected to the carbs on the 650.

Use choke to help draw the fuel, while holding the throttle wide open. You can also put a little premix fuel down the carb throats to help it fire. Once it gets going, the pump and natural suction from the bottom of the crankcase will do the rest......

Thread Information