Picked up Free Ski 1996 Sea Doo SPX w/Dual Trailer

Wassup yall? I have been looking to get one of my old ski's back, 1996 Sea Doo XP. Made a few trips this spring to check out a few but nothing ever panned out. Uncle calls me the other day. He acquired for free a 1996 Sea Doo SPX. Close to what I have been wanting, so I went and picked it up. Has a tandem trailer that needs a little TLC, but it made it from North Myrtle Beach back to Charleston SC.

I have had ski's all my life. Had a 1988 500 CC Waverunner, 1992 Waverunner III, and a 1996 Sea Doo XP. I also use to manager a water sports company that rented ski's, para-sailing, etc...

We had a full time mechanic at the watersports company, as most of my time was spent on the water. I have a 100 Ton Master Near Coastal USCG Commercial License. I am not super mechanical but can turn a wrench.

Here is what I have discovered so far and what I was told about the ski.

Owner had it rebuilt (so that's what I'm told) and it stopped working on him and he gave up on it. It has sat. Current registration expired in 2011. There does not appear to be any fuel or oil in the tanks. Spark plugs were in hand tight and appears to be some type oil in the cylinders? Almost looks like car motor oil, not two stroke. Had no battery. Hull had a lot of 2S oil in it, so much, I decided not to drain the oil in the until I the ski to my work before installing new battery. Thermostat also is not melted, so that is a good thing. I plan on disconnecting the oil and going to premix. Also, the exhaust pipe has liquid weld on it probably from where some type of hole was created? You can see in picture # 2. Also, the choke is loose from the T handle and the choke cable is in the engine compartment, but still functional.

I brought the ski in today, tilted it up and it is currently draining out the drain plug in the hull. At lunch, I plan on putting the battery in and seeing if it will turn over?

I have the fuel line turned off and tightened the plugs. Plugs looked used but not fouled. If it turns over, I plan on removing one of the plugs and grounding to see if I get spark. Also will check the gauges and VTS to see if operable.

I do not have a compression tool/tester, but I know that if I place my thumb over the cylinder/s and I can keep it there while cranking, the compression is bad.

Does this sound like a good start? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I will keep you posted as to my progress.

Also, I work for a boat manufacturer so I am thinking about possible painting the ski.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski 1.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	334360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski 2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	334361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski 3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	334362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski 4.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	334363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski 6.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	334364  

Got the oil out of the hull. Hooked jumper pack up and got nothing. Opened up electrical box and was able to put power direct. Was able to get it to turn over. Has good compression. Good start, engine is not locked up. Going to have to work on electrical next.

Nederland, Texas
    Nice find.

What is that on the side of the hull? Looks like a mini boarding step?

Thread Information