Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intermittent spark

Can anyone help me please. I am only getting spark some times if i can get the ski to start it runs great but the problem is it only starts every once in a while! anyone had this problem? can you lead me in the right direction?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What year and model is your Polaris watercraft?

What age is the battery?

Has this machine ever worked properly for you?

What is the service history?

It's a 99 polaris slth and it's ran great up til this starting issue and the battery is three years old! If it starts it seems to run great til you shut it off again I'm stumped! Now it only sparks at diff times

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcgrew View Post
    It's a 99 polaris slth and it's ran great up til this starting issue and the battery is three years old! If it starts it seems to run great til you shut it off again I'm stumped! Now it only sparks at diff times
    Measure the battery voltage, while the engine is cranking. The voltage must stay well above 10.6 volts or you will not have spark.

If battery voltage is staying well above 10.6 volts while cranking, press and hold the bilge button while cranking. Does the engine now start?

Far as I can tell it's only about 10.3 jumps to maybe 10.6 and seems to dip down to 9 and back up! Could this be my only issue? I don't understand why it will start sometimes , then I forgot to add I've had it started two times of which the ski would not turn off so I had to choke it out could this all be battery related?

+1
    Battery or battery cables may have issues. Remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, especially the engine end at the block.

You want clean metal to metal connections at both ends of both cables. No corrosion, loose cable ends or damaged connections. Clean the bolts and the engine boss where the cable attaches.

Battery may actually be failing if voltage is still dancing around while engine is cranking. Make sure the meter is trustworthy and the meter connections to the battery are solid, no corrosion under the probe tips.

Engine not shutting down may be a wiring problem or a failed switch. Open the electrical box and inspect. Should be zero corrosion, no water and no damaged or frayed wires.

Pay particular attention the the Black/Yellow wires. This is the ignition kill signal from the handlebar to the CDI ignition module.

It's also backfired a few times trying to start one time so hard it blew exhaust hose off

Banned User
    +1
    I guarantee its your battery. Go buy a Deka AGM battery and put it in. I bet it solves your problem. If you have a 3 year old liquid battery I would replace it anyways. Even if it doesnt solve the problem, which I am sure it will, its good to have a new battery. My X 45 did the exact same kind of stuff until I replaced the battery. I was using an Odyssey battery at the time, which is a good battery, but the Deka is stronger.

Will it be immediate results ? Cause I put one in from orielly and it backfired very loud but I just had it in for a min cause I just borrowed it to try! Wasn't wanting to spend 100$ and it not be the problem! My current battery is a liquid battery dated 5-18-11! I guess I'll give it a go!

Can I use a marine battery to jump the battery I have in there to see if it is the battery just so I don't spend money I don't have on a battery and it not be the problem? Or will it hurt the ski?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information