Good deal on an Ultra 150?

Hey guys, im looking at buying an Ultra 150. Guy is wanting $2500 for a 99 that has a fresh engine from PWC engines in NY. He said he just got done performing the break in period and only has 20 hours on the engine. I wont know how it runs until I do a test run but so far it seems like it is a pretty good deal. What do you guys think? Im planning on doing a triple pisser once i get it. Other than the compression and test ride what else should I look for? Oil lines?

Also, if it checks out good and I buy it, how big of a risk am I running if I take it out on the 4th weekend without installing the triple pisser kit? Really not wanting to let the ski sit all weekend if I do get it, so just want to know the risk of it.

+1
    Don't worry about the Triple Pisser for the weekend. Just don't drive it in shallow areas.

The real question is: where did the parts come from?

Pwc engines uses all wsm parts. I would not be worried about that. The real question is are those cylinders plated or sleeved?

thanks guys. I read on PWC engines that they hone any cylinders that need it so im pretty confidient about that. Also, I read on their site that they have a 2 year replacement warranty on their engines. Its new this year so Im pretty sure ill be getting a year and half or so on the warranty. It seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

Only thing is the 99's are purple. Might wanna spend an extra few bucks for a 2000

+1
    Dealt with Mike a few times over the years and i in no way speak for him so i would call him and ask im sure he will tell you anything you want to know.

From my Exp the cylinders will be sleeved,crank and pistons will be WSM stuff.He does stand behind his work so you can feel OK with the warranty.

Personaly i would not want a 1200 kawi that doesn't have factory parts but that's no slite on Mike's shop.just my opinion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    From my Exp the cylinders will be sleeved,crank and pistons will be WSM stuff.He does stand behind his work so you can feel OK with the warranty.

Personaly i would not want a 1200 kawi that doesn't have factory parts but that's no slite on Mike's shop.just my opinion.
    I'd call him. You do NOT want sleeved cylinders in an Ultra.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    another issue for a 99 model would be the possibility it has the old ecu which calls for stellar expensive spark plugs.

I'd shop around however to try to find a better deal unless you gotta have it right now. It's preferable in my opinion to find an ultra with an original engine and some indication of the pump being looked at if it's got more then 100 hours on it.

pumps on ultra150 are pricey and more often or not they are going or about to grenade every 50-100 hours or so unless they are correctly assembled. I put a bit of gear oil in my rebuilds to help detect leaks by creating a nasty mess when it starts seeping out. Not to mention it keeps things going a bit longer.

Called the guy again today about the 150. He said he has a deposit down on it but doubtful the guy will pick it up tomorrow because he has kept delaying it. So if he is a no show then friday its mine. He said he made sure that no sleeves were used when the engine was rebuilt. He was very knowledgable about the 150 and even said he was going to have the cylinders re-nikisiled if they were going to use sleeves. So im pretty confident that he has taken good care of the ski as far as that goes. At least hes knowledgable which is a start. Pump was also rebuilt. And ive been seeing where people say the pump is expensive, but I found a bearings kit for like 75 bucks. Did I find the wrong thing or what?

Bearing kit from wsm is about 60 bucks. But if a wear ring is needed you are looking at 300. When the pump was rebuilt make sure they used the updated seal kit. If hes knowledge he will know exactly what you mean. Seal kit from 03-05

Thread Information