Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Installing R&D intake grate/adjusting steering

Hi there, another post for my MSX, I have an R&D intake grate coming, should be here on Friday. My question is (i have read other forums with many different options) what would be the best sealant to use when putting on my intake grate? Are there any tricks or tips for the removal process of my stock one and any for putting on the new one? I also would like to know what loctite i should use for the screw to keep it on.

Also, my steering is a bit off, when i am going at a cruising speed my handle bar is slightly turned, and when i correct them i begin to turn. I have looked at both ends of the connections to see how this is done (under the steering assembly up front and by the nozzle at the back). I am in the midst of looking through the forums but haven't found anything concrete with the time I have. Can anyone point me in the right direction with another possible thread link or a quick answer?

Thanks again guys,

Mike

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Blue Loctite on the intake grate bolt, going from memory.

The steering cable connects to the pump nozzle using a threaded rod end. Remove the bolt and you can turn the rod end in or out as needed to get the handlebars straight.

The steering rod end connecting bolt should go in from the top. First down through a flat washer, then through the rod end, then through the nozzle arm. The Nyloc nut goes on the bottom end of the bolt.

Tighten the locking nut on the threaded steering rod after you get it adjusted to suit. Try to have the swivel end not torqued to one side or the other with the lock nut tight.

+1
    I will give the loctite a look at the store in the next day or two. What sort of sealant should I use? Do I just run it along the outside of the grate all the way around it for a complete seal? I haven't seen the grate yet to be able to see where the sealent should go so I am just throwing out what I think I'd need to do.

As for the steering, thanks for the help I will have a look at that soon. The quick look I did do, I didn't see where the threads were to be able to turn the threaded rod end. Must have missed it.

Banned User
    +1
    Its there. I had to adjust the steering on my Matrix a few days ago. It was really off.

+1
    Found out how, hopefully its aligned. Are there any tricks to better line up the two or just your eye and perhaps using rulers? Or just trial and error?

Banned User
    +1
    I eyeballed it. It took me a few rides to finally get it right

+1
    Ive managed to sort it out. Thanks!

+1
    Got my R&D intake grate on and all sealed up, just waiting to see if my brother had good luck on fixing my shaft cam for the reverse and so I will be putting that back together tomorrow! Only thing left on the drawing board is for me to get those GP sponsons!

+1
    Question about the MSX intake grate.

I was checking over an MSX 150 I rebuilt a year ago to ensure it's good to go and sell for the owner. After my checks, the owner took it for a quick spin and to put it on the trailer. He stopped to help a guy on a ski out of gas. I had a bowline on the MSX wrapped around the mirrors to use getting on/off the trailer. Well, owner tosses guy the rope which is attached to the bow ring. The rope slips out of the guys hand... the owner runs over it... sucks it into the jet pump. Now 2 stranded jet skis... haha. I zip out on a trusty 750 and tow them both.

We get the MSX on the trailer, I crawl underneath to extract the bow line to see the intake grate is gone. I'm thinking it had to have fallen off at some point, because the way the bow rope was snatched in there... it would have pinned the intake grate... not ripped it out. There is no bolt, no broken pieces of a grate... just gone.

So to my question. I've got another stock intake grate coming. Do you have to drop the ride plate to install the intake grate on the MSX? (I've never messed with mine)

Cheers!

Banned User
    +1
    Nope just bolt it in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information