Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

GPR1300 blog problem

Hello everyone
    I wanted to ask if anyone could help me with a 2006 gpr 1300 bog problem. I just fully built a Yamaha gpr 1300 from the ground up and I am having some top end problems. It does not do it every time but just enough to bother. The jet ski rides great half throttle but at full throttle, it will decrease speed a bit and go up again. It also bogs in the hole ALOT. I am also not sure if it is running to its full potential. My gpr 1200 smokes it in the hole and top speed. I am amazed because my gpr 1200 is stock, and the 1300 has a pump seal kit, grate, and rideplate. All the injectors were cleaned and tested by a mechanic before I installed. Actually, the whole motor was check by a mechanic before putting it together. These skies are great but I am really depressed about the performance on the gpr1300. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? or guide me to a solution? Thanks
    Last edited by GPRFREAK2011; 07-01-2014 at 06:33 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRFREAK2011 View Post
    Hello everyone
    I wanted to ask if anyone could help me with a 2006 gpr 1300 blog problem. I just fully built a Yamaha gpr 1300 from the ground up and I am having some top end problems. It does not do it every time but just enough to bother. The jet ski rides great half throttle but at full throttle, it will decrease speed a bit and go up again. It also blogs in the hole ALOT. I am also not sure if it is running to its full potential. My gpr 1200 smokes it in the hole and top speed. I am amazed because my gpr 1200 is stock, and the 1300 has a pump seal kit, grate, and rideplate. All the injectors were cleaned and tested by a mechanic before I installed. Actually, the whole motor was check by a mechanic before putting it together. These skies are great but I am really depressed about the performance on the gpr1300. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? or guide me to a solution? Thanks
    I think you mean bog, as in bog-down...blog is what we are doing now
    Sounds like it's getting too much fuel. Check your plugs to see if it's burning rich & fouling the plugs out. Did you check the compression? Need to know what it is, so use a good quality compression gauge.
    Obviously there is no way that the 1200 should be beating the 1300 if it was running correctly.

+1
    Lol sorry about that. The auto correct on these phones are ridiculous. Haha. Well the compression is about 130 on all cylinders more or less last time I checked it. I had the same idea about too much fuel but the ski is stock. Only a d plate was installed. Its weird that it will have too much fuel. I was looking at a EFI controller for those 1300's because everyone says they chug fuel. I wonder if that will fix the problem but I dont wanna spend $300 and not fix my situation.

+1
    You say it's stock, but also say you built it from the ground up. What, specifically, did you build? The entire engine? Have you checked the compression since you've been having the bogging issue? How about the plugs? Are all 3 showing a rich condition? Why did it require a rebuild? How many hours on the ski? 1300 has a larger pump so even if it was running a little off no way the 1200 should come out of the hole harder. If everything is put back stock you should/will not need a fuel controller. If you hv a FF exhaust with stock air box you could be starving for air. I suppose yr pcm could hv an issue but there's plenty you need to check 1st. It could also be that its getting too much oil. Are you premix? Check the plugs & go from there.

+1
    Yeah its stock. I forgot to mention that I am using a 1200 water box and a free flow installed. What I did was I got a 1200 motor with 30 hours and converted it to a 1300 non power valve fuel injected. now it has about 32 hours. I used 3 cylinders, computer, flywheel, gas tank from a sunken gpr1300. (was not under water completely) All parts were checked and in working condition. What can I say, I got it for $400. I bored the cylinders smooth, bought 3 powder coated pistons and rings, shaved the cylinders to meet the perfect height to each other. (I had a water leak on the head) milled the cylinders in a machine shop. I also bought the throttle body because the one I had from the sunken ski, the throttle was messed up. I built everything together using ultra grey. My ski now is premix. I use 3fl oz per gallon if I remember. I got to look at my mixer. I will take a pic of my plugs when I get home today to post it up on here. I will also take a pic of the compression in each cylinder.

+1
    Yeah its stock. I forgot to mention that I am using a 1200 water box and a free flow installed.
    Once you check the plugs & compression you'll know more. If the PCM was underwater perhaps it could be suspect. I know you said everything checked out, but how else do you know if something works properly if it hasn't actually been in a working ski? Not saying it's bad...just saying if everything else checks out it could be suspect.
    From the quote above, there was someone else on this blog that just last week posted that their stock GP1300R ran 68+ mph. Over the winter they installed a 1200 waterbox & freeflow & lost 3 FULL MPH. They didn't mention a bog problem best I can remember, but if you ski is starving for air on the intake side it could be an issue to look at.
    Put the stock exhaust back on & you should gain some speed.

+1
    That's weird that he lost speed. Many blogs I have seen on here says a 1200 water box with a 1300 motor will perform better out the hole and sound better as well. What I was trying to say is that the ski did not sink completely. It had water half way into it. just enough to destroy the throttle body and crankshaft. That is why I took all the good parts and built a 1300. I feel that it might be a sensor that is malfunctioning on the ski that may cause the problems I am having. It is weird but it still runs great. just not to its full potential. I think maybe the boots that hold the throttle body may have a hole or something on the rubber and causes the bog when the ski bounces. Anyways, I will post pics later when I get home.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    did you remove the CAT?

+1
    Yes I did. I put a D plate and chip.

+1
    That's weird that he lost speed. Many blogs I have seen on here says a 1200 water box with a 1300 motor will perform better out the hole and sound better as well. What I was trying to say is that the ski did not sink completely. It had water half way into it. just enough to destroy the throttle body and crankshaft. That is why I took all the good parts and built a 1300. I feel that it might be a sensor that is malfunctioning on the ski that may cause the problems I am having. It is weird but it still runs great. just not to its full potential. I think maybe the boots that hold the throttle body may have a hole or something on the rubber and causes the bog when the ski bounces. Anyways, I will post pics later when I get home.
    1200 waterbox flows better but you also added a FF exhaust, correct? 1200 waterbox = less back pressure + FF = less back pressure. You will lose speed on a stock ski. When I bought my 1200 it already had a FF exhaust. I just bought a stock exhaust hose so I can put the stock exhaust back on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information