+1

How to stop porpoising.

Hi folks, was out on the lake at the weekend chasing a few mates around, great fun......only thing I found was a bit of a pain was that the Spark would porpoise really bad in choppy water.

Do you think lowering the sponsons or an aftermarket intake grate would help.

It may help marginally however I think you will find it's the hull that is the problem, it is designed more for lakes and flat water than in the chop.

+1
    try moving your weight ford or back may help

+1
    The wider , More stable, Light weight hull makes it ride higher on the water than the mid Nineties XP and I think that makes for a rougher, More bouncy ride in chop. I know I feel like I,m on a race horse in anything more than a foot of chop at Full Speed.

how do you ride your spark? I ride in pretty heavy chop sometimes and know that if im standing it hops out of the water a lot easier. The further back you stand the more it will pop out of the water. Standing might also be the reason for people breaking their handlebars as well as they absorb the impact with arms extended and put the force on the bars.

When in chop I like to ride similar to the way Sarge said, like I am on a race horse. Riding this way allows me to absorb the chop through my legs and keeps my center of gravity low.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I think by virtue of it being so light is going ot play a big factor it this. Heaving a 700 to 800 lb ski is going to require a lot more wave to bounce it the same amount. I have a bigger ski with a more pronounced V hull. It cut through chop easily. My Spark is like repeatedly hitting the water with a flat shovel. But I dont consider the trade off bad at all considering the nimbleness I get in the Spark. Short of sacrificing the hole shot for a more relaxed trigger finger, I have no advice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mislguy View Post
    I think by virtue of it being so light is going ot play a big factor it this. Heaving a 700 to 800 lb ski is going to require a lot more wave to bounce it the same amount. I have a bigger ski with a more pronounced V hull. It cut through chop easily. My Spark is like repeatedly hitting the water with a flat shovel. But I dont consider the trade off bad at all considering the nimbleness I get in the Spark. Short of sacrificing the hole shot for a more relaxed trigger finger, I have no advice.
    When I did the test ride event it was on a pretty choppy lake and it felt exactly like that. It just really doesn't have the weight to cut through the water...it's more like it skips on the water way more than into the water...all part of the fun of the design though.

+1
    You can stop some of the bounce by reversing (180 degrees) the lower steering nozzle bushing (293 900 010) so that the nozzle angle drops slightly to push the nose down. It is oval in shape and can be popped out and put back in quite easily. It takes about a mile an hour off the top end but it does make a difference...

+1
    Ive noticed Sparks porpoise on smooth water with the trim down. Its going to be hard to redesigned the hull, but maybe putting weight on the front, and maybe research on using a different intake grate.

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    Yes, adding a larger gas tank would help, and maybe a real trim adjustment

Thread Information