Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Genesis Running Problems

I've seen a lot of threads on here pertaining to this, but would like to share my story to get your opinion on the problem.

So, I let a couple of idiots ride my ski. I'm 100% certain they rolled it, but am not sure if they overturned it in the proper direction. When I went to ride it back to the dock it was very "doggish" and had a max speed of about 30 miles per hour and seemed to get stuck at a low RPM (I do not remember the exact value). When I got it out of the water I found the hull full of a significant amount of water.

I drained the water and did a visual inspection and nothing seemed the problem. Not knowing much about skis I figured it must have just been too heavy to get up on a plane or something, so I fueled it up and took it back out. It ran completely fine with normal power and speed for a couple hours, then seemed to revert back to "dog" mode.

I removed the plugs and found them to be quite fouled (in my opinion, they were very black and had crusty oil on them). I removed a plug and turned the engine over with the plug close to the frame and observed an orange-ish colored spark, which I'm told is bad and you want a blue spark. I've ordered new plugs and am going to pick them up now.

I am going to see if the new plugs give me a blue spark at least.

I've read the horror stories about hydrolocking. I hope I haven't done serious damage to the engine. My main question: If damage was done to the engine when tweedle dee and tweedle dumb rolled it, would it have still run fine the next time I brought it out for upwards of an hour before reverting back to sluggish performance?

More to follow.

Banned User
    +1
    If there was engine damage it probably would have continued to run like crap.

You wouldn't believe how many trouble threads start out with "I let someone else ride my ski"

I changed the plugs and it starts and idles fine out of water. Time to dip it in and give it a shot I guess.

When I give it a little rev it seems a little doggish still and a decent amount of water comes out of the exhaust slots. That's normal though right, it is slightly tipped nose up on the trailer?

Is it possible to damage it by taking it back out on the water?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DtotheJ View Post
    I changed the plugs and it starts and idles fine out of water. Time to dip it in and give it a shot I guess.
    Fuel injected or carburetor engine?

+1
    When I give it a little rev it seems a little doggish still and a decent amount of water comes out of the exhaust slots. That's normal though right, it is slightly tipped nose up on the trailer?

Is it possible to damage it by taking it back out on the water?
    Is this a 1999 Genesis?

Yes a 1999 Genesis. I believe it has a carburetor.

+1
    Yes a 1999 Genesis. I believe it has a carburetor.
    Is there an electrical box somewhere in the engine area that might have been submerged with water? Might be worth opening the box and inspecting inside. Should be zero water inside and no corrosion.

Disconnect the battery before opening the electrical box, just as a precaution.

I will take a look inside the box. I did find a broken hose clamp on what looks to me like the soft connection between the exhaust manifold and the muffler? maybe? I causes some exhaust to leak into the engine compartment. I will be fixing that tonight. Could exhaust in the engine compartment cause any issues?

Also I found a small (about 1/4" diameter) clear hose that is not connected to anything on one end. The disconnected end is toward the back of the ski and I can't really figure out where it comes from because it goes to the front of the ski behind the electric box. Any ideas what it is?

I know this is a tough question to answer directly, but is it likely that any additional damage would be done by taking it back on the water for a trial?

Something else to add, the bilge pump has not worked for two seasons now. I never bothered to figure out why.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information