+1

Big Rideau TELUS Watercraft Ride For Dad

It’s been a week of ups and downs, as we’ve been very fortunate to have been contacted by some very worthwhile organizations wanting our help in promoting their charitable events. A couple of days ago, we brought to you the heart-wrenching tale of four-year-old Emerson Meredith’s struggle with leukemia and the Van Beek’s Flip for Emerson GoPro Weekend to help offset her surmounting medical costs.
    Today, we want to alert to the annual Ride for Dad charity ride happening this July 12, 2014. Targeted at collecting donations for prostate cancer research and education, the Ride for Dad rides (there’s four of them this year) have raised over 13 million dollars to the Prostate Cancer Fight Foundation.
    Recently, we were contacted by GreenHulk member “K447″ (or Keith), who let us know more about this upcoming Rideau Ferry ride.
    He wrote: Each year Ride for Dad, which began as a motorcycle charity event, hosts multiple watercraft charity rides. There are now four in Eastern Canada, including the July 12, 2014 ride I will participate in. Riders are asked to collect donations for prostate cancer research and education. Each year there are more riders and the donation total grows.
    The signature moment for the Rideau Ferry ride (named for the launch location) is when all the watercraft and chase boats are collected together in a lock to pass between two sections of the waterway.
    Last year there were over sixty watercraft in the lock, perhaps this year there will be more!
    The ride itself is done as a poker run with several waypoints. Round trip takes about four hours, maybe five.
    Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in Canadian men (I presume the US statistics are similar). It generally affects men over 40. Successful treatment depends on early detection. In the longer term, research into improved diagnosis, treatment and prevention will further improve our capacity to deal with this disease.
    The majority of watercraft enthusiasts are male and we are all susceptible to this.

The post Video: Big Rideau TELUS Watercraft Ride For Dad appeared first on .

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by K447; 07-02-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for doing this article!

For those willing to make a supporting donation, you can click here.

+1
    Rock on, K - you and those who have helped play a part in fighting this "man-disease" are greatly appreciated. My father, who will be 75 this fall, is a near 20 year survivor of P cancer.

To all of you guys, esp. 40 and over or who have a family history, please do yourself (and your wife/kids/sigf. other) a favor and get regular exams. It's no picnic, but certainly better than the inevitable misery of finding out too late.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Rock on, K - you and those who have helped play a part in fighting this "man-disease" are greatly appreciated. My father, who will be 75 this fall, is a near 20 year survivor of P cancer.

To all of you guys, esp. 40 and over or who have a family history, please do yourself (and your wife/kids/sigf. other) a favor and get regular exams. It's no picnic, but certainly better than the inevitable misery of finding out too late.
    Thanks for the support.

For whatever reasons a lot of men find it uncomfortable to deal with this sort of thing. Please, do the periodic monitoring. Caught early, it is a much better outcome than discovered too late.

And please click on the DONATE link!

+1
    The charity ride is next weekend.

For those that are willing to donate, every bit helps.

Thanks.

+1
    Hey, if I can get a colonoscopy the rest of you can get a prostate exam! And the colonoscopy wasn't even close to as unpleasant as I had been led to believe. A day of liquids and laxatives--but today's laxatives are much more efficient--followed by knocking me out and taking care of business while I'm out? No problem at all.

+1
    Donate if you can, come ride with us if you are anywhere nearby!

You do not have to collect donations to join the ride, you can pay the entry fee on site and still be part of the event.

Saturday July 12, 2014 at Rideau Ferry, Ontario (near Perth, Ontario)
    Last edited by K447; 07-12-2014 at 08:15 AM.

+1
    The Ride for Dad Is happening today, Saturday July 12, 2014

Please come join us if you are close enough.

Donate if you can.

Thank you to everyone who has donated and supported us.

Note: If you would rather use Paypal instead of online Credit Card, send me a private message and you can pay through my Paypal account.

Thread Information