This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

97 GTX Third party EMM

third party emm's have been around for a few years, but now SBT is selling them retail, and with so little info available at the moment, let me share what I have.

The latest revision of the 97 gtx ( supports a few other models of the same ilk) emm retails @$450 ( oem $800+) and the biggest change for this rev is the ability to use a coded key. Pretty slick setup, with a button on the emm to enter programming mode then you plug your key in, it reads the key number and your ski will only start with that key. Supports up to 5 keys. Or you can run keyless, where the dess key simply acts like any other pwc lanyard, pop it off engine stops.

Also supported is a programmable rev limiter. Nicely done unit that is affordable..which should keep a couple more of what has to be my favorite ski on the water.

More on this after I install it today.

We're fortunate that the gap in cdi availability is being filled. I haven't had a third party emm come back from a customer yet, but I did get a defective one out of box last season, which my distributor exchanged for me.

Banned User
    +1
    Its great to see SBT stepping up and providing parts to keep these older machines running. They have been a god send to the Polaris community with the ignition kits.

+1
    I installed one on a '97 XP 2 years ago. I also thought it was a pretty neat setup with the pushbutton programming.

+1
    I wish they posted the installation instructions online. Do you have to set timing or anything like that? The reviews on the 97 i saw online were mixed, i will be glad to see some feedback from someone on here. Please let us know how these worked out...
    THANKS PETER!!!

My neighbor has a pair of 97 gtx's that he bought at the local auto auction, apparently in an effort to prove that they were running skis the idiots at the auction jump started them both and ruined the mpems. One runs but has no gauges, i swapped the mpem and the gauges in the other ski goes out. The other mpem has no spark, but when i put in the other mpem it runs with no guages... With the bad spark mpem both skis have working gauges... what a mess. They also need the typical workover from fuel lines to carb jobs and one has an SBT motor with a rave valve bouncing up and down at each stroke... IF i think these mpems will work i can get him in the water with us a lot cheaper than i had initially quoted...

+1
    while I was not able to get the coded key to work exclusive(leftthe shop with anykey will do it mode", the mpem fired up the ski with no issues..and seeing I haven't heard back from the guy since, I would assume it's working ok.

I would have pursued the coded key thing some more, but the mpem was acting a little flakey at first so I didn't need to be pushing it when the guy just wanted a running ski for the weekend. When the ski comes back for the pipe leak and carbs, I'll get another crack at the key coding part of the program. It's a series of presses and beeps that tell you what is happening, I was not able to get the box to start any of it's programs for me.

I went with the default timing. I wasn't able to identify the timing legend among all the other marks on the back of the engine. made good power in the water tank so I let her rip.

Left the rev limiter stock too.

nice fit, the color codes were clear to see and no "huh?" moments. Good deal all around.

Note the box I used was from WSM, if I am not mistaken SBT get's theirs from the same South American company.

+1
    So BUDS or CANDOO will no longer interface with the ski at all after this is installed? Buds or candoo isn't required to make it work properly? Just to confirm... Just curious...
    Thanks again for some insight into these things.

+1
    I would assume not, since both of those readers are looking for Seadoo communication protocol, and if the third part tried to duplicate that, it would be a clear copyright violation. I'll try my handheld on it next time I have it in shop, but I doubt it will communicate with it.

I can deal with that given the price and supposed dess, timing and rev limter programmability, albeit by the old timex-Sinclair "Z" computer method of programming.

Thread Information