Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

250x and 89 Octane

I'm considering buying a 250x because my doo scares me with it's S/C issues. I'm okay with a little more fuel, but I'm wondering if I can run 89 octane in it? This is the highest my gas station has.

+1
    The 250X had as many or more issues as your Doo ... and it will blow up on low octane faster than your Doo (which has a knock sensor). NEITHER ski should ever be run at anything other than very low throttle (4-5000 rpm) with 89 octane gas. I don't think the 250X had a knock sensor, and some owners had trouble with cracked heads, gas in oil, pump failures that destroyed the engine (thrust washers/crank/block), spark plugs stuck in heads, etc.

There is no completely bullet proof ski, especially used, older skis. Probably the best choice if you want a ski with potentially no major issues is really the new Ultra 310X - good hull, good motor, no paint, pump or hull issues. Just change the exhaust filter regularly, and flush the exhaust/blow it out thoroughly and it seems pretty solid.

But that is a new ski ... if that is out of your budget, you are left looking at used skis, and ALL the hot rod skis have problems/issues/upgrades/heavy maintenance.

IMO if you are budget limited to used skis, pick one, stick with it, fix the shortcomings or issues, and ride it. And my choice on that would be your current ski, which is what I have run for 9 years too. But that is better discussed on the Doo side.

3. +1 by:

+1
    New is out of the question because I would rather not finance then pay cash. I cruise at 5000 RPM's on my RXP with short blasts of WOT and I've been running with no issues. The 250x would be 4 years newer then what I have. The pump seems like it can be easily fixed just by upgrading to the 2010 spec pump. Spark plugs and cracked heads would be a little easier to fix then if I smashed a valve in the ski I have now. I have no problem keeping what I have just checking around to make sure this will be the one I'll want to keep.

+1
    As many 250s were problem free as had problems. Like anything. U get good or bad. Make sure it's low hour and clean. U can run 89 in a pinch but don't make a habit of it

6. +1 by:

+1
    I'm looking at one right now with 90hrs. It has the Riva Stage I kit, and an exhaust apparently. Also has some nice HydroTurf mats. Says it was washed down after every use, and sprayed WD40 after every ride. He's asking 5k but I would hope to score it for 4.5k. It's sitting on a galvanized trailer and I can ride before I buy.

+1
    Sounds good. I also have that work done. Wd-40 the engine sounds like he took care of it. seems like a good price. I was offered that on a trade in and I have almost 250 hours on mine. I did have my pump bearins and shaft set up upgraded to 300 spec at 225 hours. And boy did it need it so keep that in mind

+1
    Instead of buying this summer I'm going to buy in the Fall in september or october. I'm going to buy a 250x for sure unless I can get the 260x for cheap. Can I run half 89 the other half 91?

+1
    Another question, has anyone ever added trim to this ski before? If so how.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    Can I run half 89 the other half 91?
    It's a gamble.
    To be safe and if you have no access to higher than 89, just add some known good octane booster on every fill up.

Another thing you want to seriously consider upgrading on the 250X (& 260X) is adding a lubrciation injection system (fittings & line, just like on 300X/310X) for the supercharger to prevent seizure. It's a MUST if riding in ocean.

+1
    Okay I'm just going to take the extra trip into town and fill up with 91 as it seems like it needs it.

I ride fresh water but is there a thread that explains how to do this? I'm sure to couldn't hurt.

I'm going to go with the 260x if I can find one in my price range. I have a budget of 4500 but might be able to swing 5k. Will this be enough for a 260x in the fall/winter?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information