Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Queens, NY

New to the world of skis (Long Island area)

Hi all, Just bought my first ski last week, taking the boating safety exam tonight, and hoping to get this bad boy into the water this weekend. I planned on launching at Captree, which is about an hour from me in Queens. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better place that's closer east? I'd like to ride in the GSB. Also, where would I be able to get custom registration letters that come close to matching the SeaDoo logo? Any other helpful advice/tips for a beginner? Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wWHALGN.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	334699

Welcome to the hulk. Ebay has a good selection of decals at good prices and u customize them yourself..

Hopefully you mean, that is closer west. check out this link

Also when you find out, do some research. Some are only open to town residents or have different fees

Queens, NY
    Yea, west* I'm good with directions as you can see. I found the Captree one from that list, thought maybe I could get some insight about ones in nicer areas, etc.

Venetian shores and Wantagh park are what gets brought up the most here. Luckily I am on a canal and don't have to trailer.

Long Island, NY
    You need to be a Nassau County resident to use Wantagh park or be prepared to pay through the nose. The closest free ramps to there are Albany Ave in Freeport and the Lido ramp that's just west of the loop parkway on Lido Blvd. Captree is your best bet if you want to ride GSB/Fire Island inlet. The others I mentioned are closer to Jones Inlet. Still not a bad ride over to the RM bridge though. We make that ride a bunch of times over the summer.

Venetian is $25 i believe each time.

Babylon, Long Island
    Yeah your going to be paying bookoo bucks to use a town ramp in which your not a resident of.. I can't justify 30 bucks every time I would want to go out, plus gas...

Venetian has a nice bar/restaurant there where you can grab a good bite to eat...

Wantagh is directly across from long beach and close to the nautical mile and some trails...

Captree is loaded with commercial fish boats and if often very crowded... I also think there's a huge no wake zone surrounding it

Both places have their advantages but if I were you, I'd try looking at docks close to you where you can launch whenever you want..
    Last edited by mattydipps; 07-03-2014 at 04:04 PM.

10. #10 far as lettering goes there are a few shops who can make it happen. - in Queens and have heard very good things - Lindenhurst(not far from captree) - Deer Park - not far from captree - Also in Deer Park - not the friendliest - Western Nassau and have a shitty attitude and very high prices. I'll never go there for anything, but a lot of people seem to deal with their attitudes.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information