Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation 2004 virage 700 w/carburetor, new engine, no spark

Sorry to high jack this thread but I guess I'm not authorized to post in the forums yet. I am having a similar problem. I have a 2004 virage 700 w/carburetor and I have no spark. I just got this ski and it was literally a pile of bolts and parts. I replaced the engine just to find out that I have no spark. I have read many threads and have done the tests suggested by many members on here and also the tests outlined in the manual. It has a brand new battery and I have 11+ volts while cranking. I have no voltage on the brown wire coming out of the cdi. so I went on to check the stator and and hall effect sensors. I think that my stator is bad but i'm not sure. Here are the values that I got:

Black to engine ground: 0.2 ohms
    Black to stator purple: OL
    Yellow to red/purple: 0.8 ohms

When I did the Hall effect test with the 9v battery as outlined in the manual, I did have a spike in resistance and then back down again. I got right around 108 ohms on each one. Since this is the case, could my cdi be bad in addition to the stator. The stator is clearly outside of the specs on the black to purple wire (manual says should be 5.5 ohms). My understanding is the the hall effect sensors send a signal to the cdi which in turn is supposed to put 8v on the brown wire coming out of the cdi. Is that right?

Also, I applied 9v to the brown wire going into the stator and still had no spark. This is the first pwc that I have owned but am a very mechanically inclined person. I just want to be sure about my next step so that I don't start throwing expensive parts at it. Thanks in advance!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you connecting the ohmmeter to check the stator? Inside the electrical box or at an external 8-pin Deustch inline connector?

Is the stator new or recovered from your pile of bolts?
    Did you check the stator ohms before installing it!

For reference, here are the test values for the Gen III two cylinder ignition.

I was doing my tests at the connector with the specs from the manual. The stator is not new (emerged from the "pile")but all was supposed to be in working order minus the engine. However it has been sitting since at least 08 since that was the last time it was registered. Does it sound like I need a new stator?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by plbolton View Post
    I was doing my tests at the connector with the specs from the manual. The stator is not new (emerged from the "pile")but all was supposed to be in working order minus the engine. However it has been sitting since at least 08 since that was the last time it was registered. Does it sound like I need a new stator?
    I would first inspect the pins in the connector. Look for signs of corrosion or dried dielectric grease.

If necessary you can remove the pins from the connector so you can check where the wires are crimped in. Take a digital photo before you pull it apart so you can be sure to get the wire colors right when you out it back together.

There are no signs of corrosion…. All of the grease is still nice and pliable. I checked that before I did anything.

+1
    There are no signs of corrosion…. All of the grease is still nice and pliable. I checked that before I did anything.
    Well, the open circuit condition is either a break in the wiring outside the flywheel housing, or right at the stator itself.

Could that cause a no voltage condition on the brown wire of the cdi?

+1
    Could that cause a no voltage condition on the brown wire of the cdi?
    Without proper signal from the stator exciter coil the CDI cannot function normally.

Ok I'm going to pull the stator out today and check it out. Also, would one small crack in the flywheel magnet be affecting my problem at all?

Pulled the stator out today and sure enough the windings are damaged on the coil that was out of spec when I did the resistance test. It must have been damaged while it was in the "Pile" of stuff. Can I repair that one coil or do I need to get a whole new stator? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I'm crossing my fingers thats all thats wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information