Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Things to look out for on 2008 RXP x255?

I'm been trying to dig through some old threads and haven't found a lot specifically related to the X 255 version. I'm looking at picking up a used one and like always, am nervous about s/c reliability and overall craft reliability.

The machine is an 08 with around 60 hrs on it. Stored on the lake under a covered dock in the summer and winterized in the garage the rest of the year. Owner just bought a new one.

1) It sounds like they upgraded washers in the 08 so what other s/c issues could one encounter?
    2) I also read somewhere about pump tunnel failures? What is that about?
    3) How much more fuel do these go through than say the RXP 215? I've ridden these so this would be a good comparison.
    4) When testing what else should I look out for?

Thanks

+1
    Pull the charger and rebuild it Every 2 years or 80ish hrs
    make sure it revs to 8100. As far as fuel. It will be good but like most the more your in boost the more fuel you will use

+1
    The 08 RXPX maybe the best year for them. The SCer slip needs to be checked and adjusted usually by 20-30 hours. After that they seem to hold till 100 hours.

08 had a piston ring problem. Check compression.

Starter solenoid was a problem for all Seadoo that year.

Need to replace intake with an R&D grate the stock one sucks( I have a brand new take off, lol). The tunnel can get hairline cracks, but pretty sure I have never seen a tunnel failure on a RXPX.

As long as you leave it totally stock they seem to last and hold up good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    The 08 RXPX maybe the best year for them. The SCer slip needs to be checked and adjusted usually by 20-30 hours. After that they seem to hold till 100 hours.

Need to replace intake with an R&D grate the stock one sucks( I have a brand new take off, lol). The tunnel can get hairline cracks, but pretty sure I have never seen a tunnel failure on a RXPX.

Does anyone here have a stock ski mate?

This will be one of the few toys that actually will be left "mostly" stock lol.

How tough is it to get to the plugs on these guys to do a compression check?

I'm not too worried about some minor issues here and there; just would like to avoid the high dollar crap obviously.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post

Does anyone here have a stock ski mate?
    They sold a bunch of RXPX in 08. Its pretty easy down here to find a totally stock ones.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego Trip View Post
    This will be one of the few toys that actually will be left "mostly" stock lol.

How tough is it to get to the plugs on these guys to do a compression check?

I'm not too worried about some minor issues here and there; just would like to avoid the high dollar crap obviously.
    Its easy to get the plugs out. Pull the white cover off. There is a clip front and back.

Pull coils. Make sure not to lose the red gaskets.

Pull plugs and do compression test. 140-145 is good compression.

They are great machines. Buy it and ride it. No tunnel problems. Do basic charger maintenance.

Thanks guys. I will bring my compression tester with me and see how she checks out. It's a pretty good deal, and the 255's rarely come up for sale. It's amazing how much used ski's sell for in my area. 05-06 100hr RXP's are listing for 6-7k. It's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego Trip View Post
    Thanks guys. I will bring my compression tester with me and see how she checks out. It's a pretty good deal, and the 255's rarely come up for sale. It's amazing how much used ski's sell for in my area. 05-06 100hr RXP's are listing for 6-7k. It's insane.
    I've found that asking price has little to do with what the sellers will take. Cash talks. Bring them a KBB or NADA appraisal sheet with you for negotiation purposes. Those two guides are well into the LOW zone on private party retail values.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information