Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some FYI Points

+1

Some FYI Points

OK, first... I hate to sound like a broken record, but Jim really is a nice guy. I started out this morning by twisting off one of the bolts holding the intake grate on. Jim was nice enough to bring tools and spent about 45 mins on his back, on the beach drilling and re-tapping it for me. He refused to take any money for it, either. Thanks Jim!

Second... it still is amazing how fast you can go from having fun to tragedy. I was riding with Jim and a couple of others, and an XLT doing 65+ hit something in the water and got ejected. He bought himself a helicopter ride to the Trauma Center in Tampa. He very nearly was seriously injured, but it looks like he will be OK. Between the 4 of us, we had not one cell phone. Jim had to go for help while we pulled him to the shore and waited for Fire Rescue.

Now, if it had been me who wiped out, my cell phone would have been in my car, no one knew where the keys to my car was, and nobody I was riding with would have known who to call. Everyone, make sure someone has a cell phone with you! Also, I'm going to put some emergency contact numbers in my ski too. I keep a laminated copy of my registration with a copy of the front and back of my drivers license on the other side in my ski (keeps me from having to keep up with my wallet and the registration); I'm going to put emergency contact numbers on the DL side.

And speaking of contact numbers and cell phones, I just want to pass something along. I'm a trauma nurse, and many times you are trying to figure out who to call out of the 100+ phone numbers in a phone belonging to someone who is badly hurt. Emergency responders know to look on your phone for a entry called "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) if they find you unconscious. I'm trying to do my part in passing it along to everyone; put the number of the person you want called under that entry, get your wife to do the same, pass it on to your parents. It's a great idea that started in England that is catching on over here.

That concludes this public service message; we now return you to your regular programming.

ICE
    That is a great idea ,going to do it now .
    Thanks for that info ,it may save a life.

+1
    Some good info Smitty. I never leave without my cell but don't have any easy ICE #s.

Hope your friend is OK!!

Do you know who it was that got ejected? Name? What color was the ski?

+1
    Dennis (Ruffride)..... he has a black and white XLT.

Do you know what hospital they took him too?

Just talked to Jims1300, looks like Denis spine is ok, no broken bones, but he will be in the hospital for at least a couple days for observation.... He went over a sandbar that wasnt completely exposed and stopped his ski immediately and flung him over the front of the ski...
    Things happen really fast on the water, his xlt will go 73-74...
    Just a reminder when you ride in unfamiliar waters,,,, GO SLOW untill you learn them, especially with us that ride in an ever changing ocean tide..

Bayfront Hospital here in st pete Dave...

+1
    Heard from Jim this morning..... looks like Dennis will be OK. He's gonna spend a few days in the hospital. Bruising to the spine (yes, you can bruise it) like I had figured, and a bit of seawater in the lungs. I'd make a trip back up to see him if I could, but working 12 hours nights the next couple of days. Jim's gonna be the one to find out more about Dennis. This could have been so much worse, I'm glad he's gonna be ok!

Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Bayfront Hospital here in st pete Dave...
    Thanks Ross, I'll call Jim and see if he has a room #

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information