2001 virage 1200 tx won't start

was on the lake the other day and shut the engine off. Now it won't start. Had been running perfectly. It turns over and has spark. Seems like decent pressure in the feed lines to the injectors. Can't see any obvious wiring problems. Any suggestions? I live a long way from the nearest service place (150 miles). Hoping to get it running myself. 150 original hours. Plugs are completely dry after cranking engine.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

This is a Ficht fuel injected engine, correct?

You have spark but no fuel.

My guess is the EMM needs repair. You can confirm this by checking voltage on the White/Red wires.

Red meter probe to any White/Red wire. Do not unplug an injector.
    Black meter probe to engine ground.
    Lanyard in place, crank engine.

Normally the voltage should jump up to over 20 volts when the engine is cranking, then when engine starts the voltage jumps again to around 45 volts.

If the voltage on White/Red stays well below 20 volts when cranking then the fuel injectors will not actually inject any fuel, and the EMM needs repair.

After doing the above test, you can try starting the engine as follows.
    Remove the flame arrestor. Dribble a small amount (teaspoon or less) of fuel down each throttle body throat. This fuel primes the engine just like a carburetor engine.
    Keep your arms and body away from the air intakes, in case of backfire.
    Start the engine. If it starts, and then keeps running even after the dribbled fuel has burned off, the fuel pump is probably good and the rest of the EMM is operational.
    It should respond to throttle normally.

The above suggests that the injector power section of the EMM has failed.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

This is a Ficht fuel injected engine, correct?

You have spark but no fuel.

My guess is the EMM needs repair. You can confirm this by checking voltage on the White/Red wires.

Red meter probe to any White/Red wire. Do not unplug an injector.
    Black meter probe to engine ground.
    Lanyard in place, crank engine.

Normally the voltage should jump up to over 20 volts when the engine is cranking, then when engine starts the voltage jumps again to around 45 volts.

If the voltage on White/Red stays well below 20 volts when cranking then the fuel injectors will not actually inject any fuel, and the EMM needs repair.

After doing the above test, you can try starting the engine as follows.
    Remove the flame arrestor. Dribble a small amount (teaspoon or less) of fuel down each throttle body throat. This fuel primes the engine just like a carburetor engine.
    Keep your arms and body away from the air intakes, in case of backfire.
    Start the engine. If it starts, and then keeps running even after the dribbled fuel has burned off, the fuel pump is probably good and the rest of the EMM is operational.
    It should respond to throttle normally.

The above suggests that the injector power section of the EMM has failed.

Yes, it is a Ficht fuel injected engine.

Exactly what I did, and it runs normally after adding a little gas to get it going. So do I have to go to the dealer to fix the injector power section of the EMM?? You are talking to an electrical rookie. I can handle most mechanical problems, but electrical stuff makes me nervous. BTW, thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping to get it going for my son to take to the lake with his friends today.

Can a normal guy with decent mechanical ability fix this or do you suggest buying the entire EMM? sounds like an expensive fix. I've read a bunch of your posts on your links. Very helpful, if not overwhelming.

Thanks again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mkfan42 View Post
    Can a normal guy with decent mechanical ability fix this or do you suggest buying the entire EMM? sounds like an expensive fix. I've read a bunch of your posts on your links. Very helpful, if not overwhelming.

Thanks again.
    To repair the EMM requires experience with electronics repair at the component level. And some knowledge of how these things work internally.

There are several repair services currently available. Cost will be likely be in the neighborhood of $400 or a bit higher, plus shipping, etc.

If you can find a dealer to handle this, they would remove the EMM and send it out for repair, then reinstall and hopefully test it afterwards. Your cost working through a dealer will be higher, of course.

If you can find another used EMM locally that has a good working power section, it is possible to Siamese the two together. The factory unit still controls the actual engine operation, the other provides the proper injector voltages. In this configuration both need water cooling and you must figure out how to mount the second EMM so it doesn't flop around when riding in rough water.

Any Polaris Ficht EMM from any model, even a two cylinder engine, can be harnessed as an alternate injector power source. The used EMM just needs to not have the same problem as yours does

If it was me I would send it out for repair myself, rather than trying to find another half good EMM on short notice.

Removing the EMM yourself is straightforward enough, as is reinstalling. The mounting location is rather awkward with some sharp metal edges, so don't drop your tools under the fuel tank

I checked out Fichtemmrepair.com From what I've read on here they seem alright. Any suggestions or places I should avoid??

Once again. Thanks for the help and the insight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mkfan42 View Post
    I checked out Fichtemmrepair.com From what I've read on here they seem alright.

Any suggestions or places I should avoid??

Once again. Thanks for the help and the insight.
    At the moment I do not recommend any one over the others.

Harris has been offering his Ficht EMM repair service for a few months now.

DFI has been doing EMM repair for many years, but had some recent staff changes. Apparently Chet has left DFI and now operates a competing repair service.

Do not send your EMM to any of these services until you have spoken to them directly. Confirm the expected cost and the expected turn around time.

Where are you located?

Thread Information