Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Throttle fatigue...thumb vs finger

Well...I went out today for the first time this year. I had some minor body work done earlier in the year and worried that the thumb throttle that I'd been so comfortable with these so many years would now become.....no longer comfortable.

Here's the mod I had done....

After running maybe 25-30miles today...in pretty rough conditions...nowhere near as hard as I used to run...it was uncomfortable....and because of it, I wasn't hitting the jumps as hard as I shoulda been...which again made things more uncomfortable on the rest of me....so...

Is the finger throttle really the way to go...or should I just man up and continue like always?

+1
    Ouch....how did that happen?? Get the finger throttle mate.

I was moving a piece of 3/8" steel diamond plate....3.5'x12.5'...with 3 other guys. Something changed....direction....effort...something. Happened too fast. One sec all was well...the next I was headed to a sink so I could take my glove off under cold water...heh.

I've used a thumb throttle from the beginning...used to it...just really wondering will it be worth the effort to go finger throttle?

+1
    Every Seadoo I have owned got switched over to finger throttle.

I find the finger throttle much more comfortable and gives me better grip on the bars when it gets rough I found my hand cramped up too easily with the thumb throttle. It's really personal preference there are some guys that love the thumb throttle just not me. Hard to say in your case since your thumb got rearranged it might be easier on it just holding onto the bars and using a finger throttle vs using it to hold on and operate the thumb throttle. The only way to know for sure is to try a finger throttle.

5. +1 by:

+1
    I have two Skis. One with a thumb throttle the other finger...I prefer the finger as i feel better gripping the bar with my thumb as apposed to just my fingers.

+1
    my rxt was a thumb throttle. i tore a tendon and found it difficult to ride long distances in the rough.
    switched to finger throttle and never looked back.
    until i put the turbo in.. but thats a different story

I actually still prefer the thumb throttle, I felt it was more natural as most machines where you pull something is to make it stop!

I now have the stock finger throttle, and still occaisionaly grab hold of the bars quickly (usually when hitting something hard and by suprise) and squeeze the gas by mistake. It takes many riding hours of experience to avoid clamping all fingers together when you grab. You must learn to isolate the trigger finger. Fun though, as when it happens is usually when you really don't want or need more speed!! Hang ooooonnnnnnnnnn

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    I actually still prefer the thumb throttle, I felt it was more natural as most machines where you pull something is to make it stop!

I now have the stock finger throttle, and still occaisionaly grab hold of the bars quickly (usually when hitting something hard and by suprise) and squeeze the gas by mistake. It takes many riding hours of experience to avoid clamping all fingers together when you grab. You must learn to isolate the trigger finger. Fun though, as when it happens is usually when you really don't want or need more speed!! Hang ooooonnnnnnnnnn
    yes. problem i have with the turbo as it hits boost and u start either sliding off backwards or just giggling.

+1
    Switched to Finger throttle two years ago. Would be going this way on any ski I would ever own. Way better. Even with a complete thumb!!!!!

11. +1 by:

+1
    It's a very polarizing question, which is better is not.
    In your case, you may want to consider getting a finger throttle.

But, for safety, and comfort, thumb is the way to be (I know I know you finger guys will give me the finger) but the facts are the facts.
    #1, The thumb has move delicate control and thus you can keep the throttle whate you want it much longer.

#2, The natural reaction to a the ski getting wild is for the fingers to clasp, this is a reflex action, the brain has more override on that with the thumb than the fingers. (WOT in a panic situation is not good).

#3, Grip, Finger guys say they have better grip and maybe, and only maybe at WOT they come close to a thumb throttle, Why, well take a broom handle, hold it in your hand, leave out at least for first finger and most of us, the second one too, and have somone try to take the handle off you. Then repeat wrapping all 4 fingers and no thumb. See how much easier it is to get the broom away. (also, i guarantee every finger throttle person will tighten there throttle finger doing this test.

#4. Fatigue, The thumb muscle has far more endurance than any other finger, so for long ride, holding the throttle, its a no brainer.

#5, if you get in a situation of having to let go of the throttle (came off a wave bad, etc) then thumb is the better way to hold on. Why, because a thumb, you just slide your thumb off the throttle and grab the bar. A finger system, you have to extend your finger, then fold it up, then move it around the lever, then grab the bar. That takes practice, and in a panic situation, can go very wrong.

So, if you like the finger throttle, thats fine, go with it, but its it better? thats a personal choice, as for safer, no.

I ride both (RXP thumb, Ultra 150 Finger, 800SXR Finger, and 650SX thumb) and the thumb just offers me better throttle contol, safe riding on a standup, and long range durability.

And for beginners, well, look at the crashes, Finger throttles most of the time.

There is nothing wrong with a finger system, just need to be aware of the hazards of it. If you have run finger all your life, great, and keep doing so if you like.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information