Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Anyone recognize this Modded 1998 GSXL?

Hey guys,

I picked this up from a forum member last year, and have been working on getting it healthy again. Here are some photos at the end. Its a 1998 GSXL in red with seadoonet and PPG stickers on it, jettrim red/black cover, coffman pipe, skat trak magnum pump, UMI bars, and a few other items, it moves quick after I sorted through some issues. It will keep up with a factory stock RXX I have. Maybe a bit faster with a lighter rider on it. It needs a few more tweaks, and I have to figure out some info on the Hottach-II. I am not sure what EGTs I should be seeing, but rpms seem reasonable now, around 7100, but I ride in choppy waters. It sure gets air better than the RXX as well, which is fun.

Anyone know who's it was or know anything about it? It came from florida around 2008 I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140613_205504[1].jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	334853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140613_205538[1].jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	334854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140613_205443[1].jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	334855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140613_205354[2].jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	334856  

+1
    I have always been told that a purple piston eater(coffman pipe) should be in the mid/upper 7k rpm range to really see the power it is capable of making.

+1
    I've heard the same. But I suppose not melting pistons is a plus. I don't know what I have to adjust to get it into that range, but the way its set up right now doesn't make me sad in any way. It could be I need to adjust the carbs, but I'm really not sure I want to be the one responsible for it on this ski. Just have to find an adept 2-stroke tuner in the Minnesota area, I think. I did my Stock 2001xp, and it runs alright. Too much at stake on the 98 gsxl I think though.

nice euphamism, btw. You could say the same about the RXX in general. 20hr piston pin bearing service.

+1
    I have much experience w that pipe. You need to be 7500 and higher to feel anything from that pipe. My 98 GSXL went 69.6 w that pipe and pump w buckshot 47 carbs, that was revving 7500-7600

Black hull GSXL is a 99 no?

+1
    I think I'm maybe topping out at 7200rpm. My Hot-tach goes right back to EGT at 7100rpm or so. I need to get a manual for the hot-tach or put a Tiny tach on the ski. Its really hard to tell. However I am now GPSing just about 65.5 with the right conditions. My hydraulic trim wasn't working so I worked on that and it helped a bit. Any tips on how to dial in the rpms? Do I need prop work I'm assuming?

I've been wondering also about the integrity of the pipe, I'll pressure test it later. I had a Rossier pipe that had a hole in it, so I'm sure it could be an issue.

Either way if you have some tips, lmk. I had a good time on the water today with it and my RXX, they really are Neck and Neck, but the RXX is running too low rpm as well, that's my next project this winter.

Thanks for the tips, I'm out of the country till the end of the season, this weekend is my last on the water.

+1
    I know a lot about the XPL (1998-2004) and since this shares the same motor, I'll give some ideas.

First of all, you need to know what parts you have so you're not wasting time or pistons. Its possible someone that really knows these motors setup everything spot on and fooling with the unknown could be just as bad as leaving a bad setup.

The biggest reason why the Coffman pipe became known as the "purple piston eater" is due to lack of knowledge and ski preparation. The issue really came from users that ran the typical Solas 15/20 prop with that pipe. While that may be okay on a stock motor, it would cause extreme EGT when motor was loaded in a hard turn or extended WOT. The magic prop for these setups (XPL) is a 13/19! If you can't find a 13/19 brand new, you send a 15/20 Concord in for a repitch (Impros, PPG). If you have an 85.5mm nozzle, you could put on a stock 87mm to bring up the rpms.

Pump. The later plastic pumps were plastic and were actually quicker & faster (adds as much as 150rpm).

Carbs. The stock i46 carbs are really good but jetting is key. Knowing what you have for LSJ & HSJ would help. But carbs is a touchy thing and I don't like to suggest jetting unless I'm touching it. Internet jetting can be fatal if you get what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by dpracing View Post
    Black hull GSXL is a 99 no?
    Yes!

+1
    My title says 1998, not sure, could be a half year or something, I'll check the hull. I'll have to pull the carbs and pump (skat track mag) and see what's in there. I'm pretty sure perry performance built this ski, or had a hand in it. It runs quite well now, just not optimal I'm guessing.

In egts, what am i looking for numbers? I see varying numbers from 1100-1200 wot after a long run, they stay fairly stable though.

I do believe the skat track has trim rings, but not on the steering nozzle, on the pump exit nozzle. That may be an option to adjust rpms..

I suppose I'll check squish to start, i actually don't know if the head was done or not.

**Added some photos. I think the 98 in the vin refers to 1998 build? not sure. The photo got trimmed. After A8 it says 98.

Did some digging today. Found a wire for my microtouch rev controller (i think this is it?) was broken. Fixed that. Also, Found my throttle was not 100% open, more like 95% or so. The idle is about 900 on the water (I'm going to check again tomorrow) and because of the grip on the bars and the throttle lever interfering, I can't adjust it without either being too open at idle, or not letting it open fully at WOT. Increasing my idle may help give me more room on the wot adjustment. So I need to do some work on that, if it indeed makes a difference. These two things may lead me to some gains, hopefully. I'll be redoing the wiring routing this winter, its wired correctly, but the routing is garbage, factory unused parts are lying in the hull, etc. So I can make aesthetic and longevity improvements that way (I.e. rubbing/burned wires).

I am going to test tomorrow and see if I can get any improvment. Talked to Glen @ PPG, he helped a bit too, thankfully. As well, I took my HottachII off of warning at 1120, and set it to only display RPM on startup. My HTII was set for 7300 rpm warning, so it may be they set it up to run only 72-7300 rpm... Not sure. I'll keep digging after this weekend. I have the GPS/Tach working well now.

THanks again guys!

Nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_125835.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	338898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_125738.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	338897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140814_130813.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	338899  
    Last edited by nickmm; 08-14-2014 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added photos

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmm View Post
    Also, Found my throttle was not 100% open, more like 95% or so. The idle is about 900 on the water (I'm going to check again tomorrow) and because of the grip on the bars and the throttle lever interfering, I can't adjust it without either being too open at idle, or not letting it open fully at WOT.
    Had similar issue. I had to shave the grips to allow full throttle - look at picture. If you still can't adjust, use a boxed wrench and bend the lever a tiny bit.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grip-xpl.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	338988

You should be idling around 1500 in water (3000 out).

BTW: The last two digits in the H.I.N indicate the year. The hull is a '99 (unless repainted). It looks like a single coil setup so the electronics are 98.

+1
    Ok, the last two digits are 98 then. So it may be a late 1998 build. Either way, its quite quick.

No change on the water the other day. The Hydraulic Trim still doesn't work correctly, I was hoping it would help stabilize me at high speed. I can hit 7200 pretty easily but the chop always knocks me down to 6700-6800 or so and I have to fight to get back up, never held peak rpm for more than a few seconds due to the lake quality yesterday. Rev limiter looks to be just under 8000rpm when I pop out of the water, maybe 7800-7900. I'm going to do some digging this winter, but I will probably need to find a good 2-stroke tuner since I have 3 skis I'd love to have looked over, still not very great at tuning, though I did my xp and it seems perfect now.

I am going to tweak the trigger some, thanks for the tip. It looks like I have enough room between idle and full throttle to adjust more to get full throttle opening, so I'll just fine tune it and go from there, hope it works.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think my next step is going to be to double check my pipe and go over my Microtouch to verify it works. Anyone have suggestions on what to check, let me know.

+1
    Wow, good to see the old girl again and glad to see you're getting the bugs worked out. I bought that from Bob, aka "PEST!" back in early 2000's. I did some cosmetic stuff and had it on the water one time then it sat in the garage until you bought it. Never got around to tuning it. Story I was told on the hull is it is a 98 but has 99 colors because it was a late year R&D boat. The bottom is actually gelled black like in 99. All 98 electronics though. Keep up the good work Nick!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information