2001 Virage TXi fuel injected, engine starts then dies

I am having same problem on 01 1200TXI. Stars hard & instantly dies. Spark looks fine fuel pressure at 25psi but not seeing 24v on injector power. Trying to find out if its a stator issue. Might have gotten wet. If I figure out my problem will post asap
    Last edited by K447; 07-05-2014 at 08:36 AM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome aboard ProX

disconnect one of the injectors and see if the engine will idle..seen that problem more then a few times, problem in the dc-dc inverter when loaded with three injectors..with two injectors it might have enough to run..in either case it's going to need a repair. Also worth checking our the CPS for proper ohmage or a possible damaged connection.

So its the DC inverter that provides the 20-45 volts to injectors? And that is in the EMM? I will unplug one injector and see what happens. I did unplug the TPS-no change. CPS is good.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ProX View Post
    So its the DC inverter that provides the 20-45 volts to injectors? And that is in the EMM? I will unplug one injector and see what happens. I did unplug the TPS-no change. CPS is good.
    Actually, there is no DC to DC inverter in the Ficht system. As far as I know the EMM does not draw any power from the battery. The EMM does charge the battery when the engine is running.

All the energy for the injectors comes from the five windings in the Ficht stator coil. While the engine is cranking the EMM power section rectifies and stacks the AC output from all five stator coils to accumulate the necessary 20+ volts DC needed by the Ficht fuel injectors.

Sometimes the EMM power section develops a weakness and cannot build the full voltage while also firing all three fuel injectors. Unplugging an injector reduces the electrical load, which may be just enough relief to allow the injector voltage to rise higher and fire the other two injectors, thereby starting the engine.

This is why measuring the voltage at the White/Red wire while the engine is cranking (with all injectors plugged on) is a useful diagnostic. If the voltage is not able to get above 20 volts then the injectors will not fire and the engine will not start.

Weak injector voltage is generally indicative of the EMM itself needing repair.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ProX View Post
    ... 2001 1200 TXI. Stars hard & instantly dies.

Spark looks fine fuel pressure at 25psi but not seeing 24v on injector power.

Trying to find out if its a stator issue. Might have gotten wet. If I figure out my problem will post asap
    Injector voltage is measured between White/Red wire and engine ground, not to the other pin in the fuel injector connector.

Injector voltage should rise rapidly to over 20 volts when engine is cranking, then jump up to near 45 volts when engine actually starts.

Disconnect and bypass the LR-503 Start/Stop module.

Correct spark plugs installed?

Thanks for the welcome! I think U nailed the problem. With one injector disconnected the volts came up. Was seeing over 15v. while it was firing. More smoke than fire, I think the engine is loaded up and the plugs are half fouled or it would idle or stay running on two. Waiting on putting new ones in until I get the raw fuel burned out [$15 ea.] Two injectors have been replaced, mag side looks original. All the plugs come out saturated with fuel. Just bought the ski last registration is from 2011. Top end is fresh [140-145 psi] Drained tank and flushed lines first thing. Crank sensor was missing when I got it, assumed a new one tried and taken back out. It did have oil on the flywheel trigger ring but not enough to spray out while cranking with the CPS removed [did compression test before getting one] So is it a week DC-DC Invertor and is it part of the EMM?

I did not read all the replies before my last post[no dc invertor] Its sounding like the EMM needs repair. Just trying to be sure stators or EMM are not cheap. I do have correct plugs. If its possible for the LR-503 to cause low injector volts I will try the bypass. I am using the block for my ground when testing injector volts.

Thread Information