Carb 99 Genesis - nothing between 5 MPH and 30 MPH

I have a pair of "99 Genesis skis that are carb'ed. One has just under 200 Hrs and has a strange habit. It starts and idles fine. It cruises thru no wakes fine. You floor it and it gets up and goes to 50+. However, the lowest cruising speed is around 30 mph. If you try to drop below that it just shakes and sputters like you are going to "kill" it and then it will settle into an idle speed. If you "floor it" it hops right back to the top end.

SBT said something about removing a grey rev limiting wire. I saw this wire referenced as a rev limiter, but I did not see anything suggestions to dis-connect it.

Or is this really a carb issue?

Where would you suggest starting?

Stevo

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the carburetors have not been internally cleaned and rebuilt in a long time, now would be a good time.

If it still has the original gray Tempo fuel hoses, change the hoses AND rebuild the carburetors. This applies to both machines, even if one seems to be running OK.

RPM limiter would not seem to be your issue since the engine can attain high RPM. Does the digital MFI display work properly?

Correct spark plugs installed?

If the problem is electrical, you can try swapping some parts between the two. I am leaning towards carburetor and fuel system, but electrical is certainly possible.

I have BR9ES plugs in there and just replaced them. I will take care of the carbs in the off season after I bring us home the ski from Up North.

Hey, where do you go for those Front hatch hydraulic closers? All of mine are shot and the part is no longer available from Polaris.

Thanks for your knowledge and service to this site!!

+1
    I would highly suggest that you dont take care of the carbs in the off season, as that is several months away( ok like 2) in that time, you could EASILY destroy an engine....that will cost you by far way more then taking 2 hrs to rebuild carbs and replace fuel lines...

Hey Dark, Is there a way to get them out (carbs) without removing the whole engine? Otherwise this takes much longer than 2 hrs. I am going to Three Lakes/Eagle River to pick up the skis and then Lac Du Flambeau for a week of family vacation. I would guess that we put less than 6 hours on it if even that...

Where do you recommend getting fuel lines from? I see SBT has some clear blue lines. Are there not more than one ID tubing on these carbs? I just purchased them and really have very little history on them. I have rebuilt 3 750 SLTs with fuel pumps, new lines and whatnot. I sold those. However the 99 Virage that I am rebuilding seems much more intense with fuel lines as do these two genesis units. So I basically have 3 units needing attention.

Stevo

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have BR9ES plugs in there and just replaced them. I will take care of the carbs in the off season after I bring us home the ski from Up North.

Hey, where do you go for those Front hatch hydraulic closers? All of mine are shot and the part is no longer available from Polaris.

Thanks for your knowledge and service to this site!!
    Gas springs are what keeps the hood open. I have posted some notes from ages ago. Search far gas springs, might be some supplier info in there. Haven't looked at that thread in a long time

The risk with deferring carburetor work is that if any of the carbs tends too far towards running the cylinder too lean (not enough fuel delivery into the combustion chamber for the air flow) it can burn a hole right through a piston. This can damage not only the piston but also deposit melted aluminum bits into the crankcase, making it hard to clean it up without tearing the engine apart.

Lean burn can happen slowly, and if you inspect the piston domes it looks like a crater being eroded into the top of the piston. Lean burn can also happen quite fast, sometimes taking mere minutes to fully ruin the piston.

Carburetors can certainly be removed without taking the engine out. The hose arrangement is not hugely different from the blue Fuji engines. Minor differences, to be sure, but I would not call it more complicated.

My signature links will provide a lot of useful info, including fuel hose sizes.

+1
    The Fujis are a PAIN for carb removal, the Domestic, much easier remove the flame arresstor, you will see the bolts that go from the top allll the way down to the manifold. remove these bolts, and the linkages on the carbs and the vacume lines, fuel lines,

open the gas tank before removing the fuel lines. if you don't gas will pour out of the removed lines, as the tank will have some air pressure,

I kid you not when I say 2 hrs. and thats for someone who has never done it before, I can remove the carbs on my skis in little as 5 minutes.

I would suggest going through John Zigler for everything, fuel line, Carb rebuild kits..
    You need to use Genuine Keihin carb kits, and he sells what you need.
    he is a member here or you can contact him [email protected]

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=187587

Thread Information